When I buy feed it is going to last a while. So dosing their water and then continuing them on medicated feed is realistic for me. Yes it contradicts itself early on but as soon as they are off the medication I place the non-pathogenic in their system so they can resist any additional intrusion.

If all you have is a couple of chicks then your bag of feed is going to last longer than the dose of medication in the water. This way you are not throwing away feed or creating an opening for something bad to happen. I actually like the overlap.

This is how I have done it in the past.

This actually makes perfect sense, from a cost standpoint as well as the health one… and it’s not as though you’re doubling up a dose of the Amprolium, you’re just rendering the medicated feed useless during treatment. I’m fairly certain when it comes to these things Bob is a genius 😉 or at the very least an expert! So why the heck can’t I get medicated feed here??? Some things about my country I love, others not so much. Sigh

Sometimes I really wish I could have one. That would upset the old tribe.
They aren’t all Jabbers and Hawks
They are kinda loud (Crowing all the time):confused:
Mine are actually fairly quiet most of the time. There will be the occasional crow, but by far my hens make much more noise.

OK, Let's Revisit the Chicks & Medicated Feed vs Medication

First to put one misconception to bed. One in which I too was caught up.

After a feed review where I evaluated 11 different Medicated Chick feeds, there are NO non-pathogenic strains of coccidia in use. That is incorrect and I apologize for repeating that bad information. Let me say that again so it is clear.

THERE ARE NO FEEDS WITH NON-PATHOGENIC COCCIDIA

Of the 11 feeds I evaluated:
  • 9 use Amprolium (Corid)
  • 1 uses Monensin (Cobon)
  • 1 claims that Diatomaceous Earth in the feed will kill coccidia
So what does this mean.

DO NOT USE MEDICATED FEED AND MEDICATION AT THE SAME TIME

Amprolium imitates Thiamine (vitamin b1) which is essential for Coccidia to grow. When Coccidia ingest Amprolium instead of Thiamine they experience Thiamine deficiency and starve from malnutrition. Your chicks also need Thiamine.

IMPORTANT: Because of this Amprolium has a very narrow margin for error. Overdosing can lead to hemorrhagic diathesis (spontaneous bleeding) and death.

DO NOT EVER TREAT CHICKS THAT ARE ON MEDICATED FEED WITH AMPROLIUM

The medicated feed is already dosed correctly for your chicks. The use of medicated feed alone is effective at the prevention of coccidiosis.

However, if you chicks are already showing symptoms of coccidiosis you should use a NON-MEDICATED feed and MEDICATE them. This will enable you to use a higher dose of Amprolium in order to get on top of the infection.

Treatment
So what is the prescribed treatment for coccidiosis?

The Poultry DVM recommends a therapeutic dose of 0.024% in water to reach therapeutic levels. If you are utilizing Corid 9.6% liquid solution, that would be 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. If you are using Corid powder (20%), it is 1.5 teaspoons of powder. Treat for a minimum of 5 up to 7 days. This must be their only source of water for those 5 days. No rain puddles etc.

After the initial dose taper to 0.012% for another 5 to 7 days. That would be 1 teaspoon of liquid per gallon of water or 3/4 teaspoon of powder.

If you are going to use Medicated feed at the end of the second treatment you can switch them to medicated feed and you should be fine.

If you are NOT going to use medicated feed, you need to switch to a final tapering dose of 0.006% for 7 days. That would be ½ teaspoon of liquid per gallon or 1/3 teaspoon of powder.

Storage

Chicks are not going to drink a lot of water. How long can I store this stuff? Any medicated water which the chicks have not consumed in 24 hours should be discarded. Prepared solutions may be stored in clean, closed, and labeled containers for up to 3 days at temperatures between 41°-77° F or 5°-25° C.

edited on 6/18/21 to include powdered Corid dosing.

Last edited:
They aren’t all Jabbers and Hawks

Mine are actually fairly quiet most of the time. There will be the occasional crow, but by far my hens make much more noise.
Go figure. "Cackling like a bunch of hens" actually is something.

Back
Top Bottom