That is young in my mind too. Now I'm really worried about Naenae...who was just born at the end of Jan 2021. 😭
That is definitely young.
Remind me what breed of chicken she is. What I have learned is that a lot of breeds have been bred to be productive for a couple of years and are then considered disposable. Just thinking about it makes me furious, but I was new to chickens when I got Diana and had not heard about any of this.

That is definitely young.
Remind me what breed of chicken she is. What I have learned is that a lot of breeds have been bred to be productive for a couple of years and are then considered disposable. Just thinking about it makes me furious, but I was new to chickens when I got Diana and had not heard about any of this.
I don't have 100% clarity on that tbh. She was part of a variety pack, maybe a golden comet or a production red? She's a big fluffy girl and very sweet. I hate that she isn't feeling well.

Also to your point about the breeding practices...same here. I am brand new and only have ignorance as my excuse for taking part of having birds that aren't meant for longevity.
It doesn't change the fact that I love love love my girls, it just makes me sad to think about...well...all of it.

Also to your point about the breeding practices...same here. I am brand new and only have ignorance as my excuse for taking part of having birds that aren't meant for longevity.
It doesn't change the fact that I love love love my girls, it just makes me sad to think about...well...all of it.
Yes. Me too.

You poor people. That sounds miserable. I'm glad you were able to take care of yourself between chores. :hugs

When hubby and I had the Astrazeneca shot I started feeling blergh after about 10 hours and was achy, sore and tired the next day. We were about back to normal by about lunch time the following day. MUCH better than suffering from the actual virus by all accounts.

Good on Roostie for stepping in and keeping the peace. 👍🐓
Same with my first Astrazeneca vaccine! Only trouble was, the kitchen fridge had burnt out and on the day after the shot, the new fridge was delivered, so a lot of shuffling of kitchen furniture was called for right when I wanted to lie down and wait in comfort while my immune system adapted. I was grateful the tradies had not taken their sack truck away with them, it got quite a work out!

The trouble is the weekend. I have only found one guy willing to see chickens and that surgery doesn’t do weekends.
I will call on Monday if she is still with us and not obviously at the end.
:hugs it's so hard to know what to do, hopefully they'll be able to advise. Iirc, the symptoms this time are quite different from when Maggie had problems with her reproductive system.

I've started adding ginger powder too my girls feed, I read it's a big help to getting their vitamins to where they should be. Plus add crushed oyster shells into their food. :hugs
I started adding salt and pepper, and ketchup sometimes to their feed (so the eggs are already flavored) when I’m in a hurry for breakfast. :old :lau:gigYes I’m kidding!!

Diana produced this.

Looks pretty good to me. I let her out to play in the chicken yard. She seems perky though hasn’t produced another poop yet.

Meanwhile, while she was in the hospital ward someone else - Elizabeth I think - produced a shelled but very thinly shelled egg that got broken all over the roadrunners eggs.
And Maggie has been in the nest box on two consecutive days but not laid an egg.

Sigh. Calcium supplements for everyone!
Oh! That does look good! I'm glad you gave her some free time :) it would have cheered her up.

Oh! That does look good! I'm glad you gave her some free time :) it would have cheered her up.
She definitely had a good afternoon and tonight went to roost with everyone else.
Here she is drinking from the dripping gutter because the water in her hospital ward wasn’t mucky enough for her. :lau

E4237AD6-7B72-4E2C-AD46-D00F896A613F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom