I'm heartbroken this morning, and I think before I change my mind I may need to list the silkies. I had to run down grandma's for a few hours yesterday evening and I left them out free ranging. Their little group had been doing so well and they are being accepted by the rest of the flock. My dad and brother were here so I didn't worry about no one here. We finally got back at the edge of dark and they were by the coop ready to go in. But one of my smaller ones was missing and my tiniest one Poppy has a slight limp. I searched for a hour after dark last night and could not find a trace of it, and prayed overnight she was hidden and would be there this morning. No luck, and after another hours search this morning she's gone. Poppy's limp is not bad and there is no visible wound so I think its a sprain that will heal with a few days of confinement. Every other chicken on the place is acting like nothing happened. I don't want to let them go, but, I just don't think they are going to do well free ranging and if something happens to another one it will be devastating.
I’m so sorry Rebecca. :hit :hugs

It is Time to go Way-Back Again

Mr Peabody I believe that we need to take a trip back again. Could you please fire up the way-back machine and let's go back to 7/25/17.

chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

The Big 3 were getting up from one of their first nights in the new big coop. Daisy, the greatest hen ever, was so anxious to get her day started that she could not wait for the door to open all the way. Lilly was clumsy getting down even then.

This is just a quick stop over. Let's hop back another year to 7/25/16.

chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump, chumma chumma chumma, hufft hufft, falump

It was pouring this day.
View attachment 2774326

But is was so warm that The Greatest Hen Ever was having none of that coming in out of the rain. Eventually Patsy and Lilly would join her.
View attachment 2774328View attachment 2774329View attachment 2774327

Shake it out Daisy!
View attachment 2774330

The day sure ended beautifully though.

View attachment 2774331

OK Mr. Peabody. That day has ended. Let's jump back one more year.

This is 7/25/15, 6 years from the present. Daisy was just a young pullet and Elphie was having none of her sharing the roost with her. Elphie thought that Daisy could just roost outside for all she cared.

Look closely and you can see Elphie on the roost inside. Just look at how the area has developed from just the prefab coop and run.
View attachment 2774339

That was a fun visit. Let's bounce forward a few years. Please set the way-back machine for 7/25/18.

Whew! that was a bit of a leap but here we are. I chose this day for a special reason. Watch as Hattie and Jabberwocky have pasta for the very first time. Just look at that cute baby Hattie. Those little peeps. I am getting so excited to hear them again when Phyllis tiny brood arrives next week.

Well the time is getting late. I think we should return to the present.

Thanks so much for the trip Mr. Peabody. The way-back machine worked flawlessly. We will see you again soon.
So good to travel back, but really think you need to get that engine checked. :D

Back
Top Bottom