The Time for Construction has Come

With Phyllis' chicks due to ship on Monday, it is time to begin coop construction. I need the coop (for which I still need a name) to be ready for either the chicks to grow in or for Phyllis to raise them in. Either way it has to be ready come Monday.

Pricing lumber is a sobering thing these days. With a 4x8 sheet of plywood going for about $40, this coop build is going to be WAY more expensive than the big coop. I started thinking of what I could recycle to create lumber and help lower the cost.

In my office for years has been an old entertainment center. I was able to disassemble it completely and come up with several good sized pieces of plywood not to mention some crown molding! Especially nice is the glass door which I will turn sideways and use as the primary entrance into the coop!
View attachment 2779243View attachment 2779244

Now I need to calculate the remanded of the lumber I need and head to the store.

Construction will begin tomorrow. 🔨🔨🔨🔨
Squeeeeee, so exciting!!

:wee:ya

Do you think that you maybe waited too long to integrate?
Do you think that you could let them all spend time together outside during the day while you supervise... giving treats as a distraction....
I may have missed some of these happenings and you may have already tried this.. but I think with time and perseverance you could get it to work. 🙏🏻
I just went out to give the chooks some frozen watermelon and chilled yogurt. They were all under the porch (Where it’s cooler) Everyone was under there, even Arizona and Dakota? So I think the chooks are willing to share the porch. (But why not the coop?) :barnie

How exciting! Can you post a picture of them when they're here? How many chicks did you order? Do you know all their breeds?
I ordered 3 chicks for Phyllis, a buff laced polish
BuffLacedPolish_A4A4127-Edit.jpg

A Phyllis Polish
_MG_9022.jpg

And a frost legbar
WhiteFrostLegbar_(2).jpg

The Time for Construction has Come

With Phyllis' chicks due to ship on Monday, it is time to begin coop construction. I need the coop (for which I still need a name) to be ready for either the chicks to grow in or for Phyllis to raise them in. Either way it has to be ready come Monday.

Pricing lumber is a sobering thing these days. With a 4x8 sheet of plywood going for about $40, this coop build is going to be WAY more expensive than the big coop. I started thinking of what I could recycle to create lumber and help lower the cost.

In my office for years has been an old entertainment center. I was able to disassemble it completely and come up with several good sized pieces of plywood not to mention some crown molding! Especially nice is the glass door which I will turn sideways and use as the primary entrance into the coop!
View attachment 2779243View attachment 2779244

Now I need to calculate the remanded of the lumber I need and head to the store.

Construction will begin tomorrow. 🔨🔨🔨🔨
What a great idea and a fancy glass door!
You are right the cost of lumber at the moment is completely insane.

I’m not one to just give up. I’m still going to try to get the two to go into the coop at night. But they will not be coming in the house anymore.
You are more experienced than me - but it seems to me roosting time is the worst time to try and get everyone to get along.
During the day they may just get used to each other and then maybe pop them on a roost once everyone is asleep.

What a great idea and a fancy glass door!
You are right the cost of lumber at the moment is completely insane.
Seriously, I want to make some upgrades and adjustments to our coop and run, both for our current birds and in hope of chicks. Going to be digging through what is left of our wood pile which is a lot of salvage to see what I can make happen.

Back
Top Bottom