I would leave her alone and watch. The problem occurs if it pops inside her. You need to clean her out or else she can get a life threatening infection.
Some sort of lavage procedure? I haven't heard of that or have a clue what one does. Good to know it might be possible to help her if that happens.

Basil is definitely hitting his teenage stage and last night he got disciplined by Drumstick. One of the things I don't allow my boys to do is direct the "rooster dance" towards me or other people. To me that is bad behavior and I worry if I allowed it, it could escalate into more unwanted behaviors. For the first time Basil tried it yesterday morning, and I immediately walked into him and made him back up. Last night at roosting time Basil was the last one to be put up. As usual he was sitting on the ground waiting his turn, but when I started to walk towards him he hopped up and tried it again. This time I didn't have time to correct him, in a instant Drumstick was off the roost and on him. Drumstick didn't hurt him and it was over in a few seconds but he got the message from his daddy that we don't do that. I then walked up to Basil again who was laying down with Drumstick glaring down at him and picked him no fuss at all. and placed him on the roost. Drumstick got praised for being a good boy, and got a extra wattle and chest rub before being put on the roost again. This morning Basil ran up to me when I went out to feed, but stopped about 2 feet from me and waited patiently for breakfast. Since he behaved and asked for it by practically standing on tip toes I gave him a chest rub. He didn't get his last night. I want to reward good behavior not bad. Hopefully between me and Drumstick he wont get out of line. As a teenager Drumstick himself was not perfect and had a few lessons on proper behavior but he was smart and learned very quickly. Lets hope Basil is the same.
Well done! Wow, Basil is lucky to have such a great daddy!

This is really sad :hit. I have been with BYC since March and went straight to the turkey thread but just the few minutes I have spent here talking to you all I have gotten the most reactions and I have posted alot on the turkey thread and shared tons of my videos and never have gotten this much attention and friendly responses.
I did make enemies fast over there because I do things a bit different and the experienced experts didn't like that very much. I like it here much better.
:hugs
I don't know that thread but with this one kindness and respect are the operative words here, something Bob really fosters here. Thank you Bob! There's a fair mix of approaches to chickens and life but the main thing is helping eachother help their chickens live good lives. And pictures and videos of our chickens. I need to post more of those....

Wow, look at that curved back! I bet it meets some sort of “standard!” ❤️
I've no idea. She is 1 of 4 Japs I have. I bought them because the shape is lovely & they have super sweet dispositions. All my bantams have been sweeties. It's my standards that have had the occasional mean one. The Japanese are really friendly, like my Belgians. They are hens I would get again. Absolutely beautiful in every way.

You might want to post your turkey stuff over on @Ribh thread. There is an experienced turkey keeper (rjohns) that follows her thread. Most all of us also read over there so we won't miss them. He is a good guy. I'm sure he could help you if needed
Yes but that thread also moves right along, I've been trying to catch up there too! :barnie:lau:D

I am not surprised. When people were buying up every last chick at feed stores and at hatcheries last summer, I had a feeling that within a year they would start showing up in rescues and on the street.
Now I bought my chickens last year, too, but it wasn’t totally an impulse (well, maybe a little). I always wanted my own flock of chickens and the time was right. No matter what, my birds were not ever going to be abandoned.
I had hoped that the folks buying all those chicks would find chicken keeping to be enjoyable, and that they would grow attached to their birds, and I’m sure a lot did. But there are always those bone-heads.
Sometimes I don’t like humans at all. 😢
Every time I hear about easter animals I get very sad. I guess that's why I get annoyed when other people fawn over cute baby animals. You just can't love them until they grow up. You've got to love every stage of the animal's life. If you can't commit to the adult, you're better off leaving them for someone more willing. Honestly, after all my troubles I am more than ready for some full grown chickens.

When it comes to aggressive hens your on your own. Momma hen is honestly my only evil hen, and that is just when she has chicks that are under 4ish weeks old. There is no reasoning with that bat and EVERYONE people/animals alike just give her a wide berth. I mentally prepare myself every time I have to replenish food and water for the beating I'm about to get when they are really young. If a hen that may be 4 pounds on a good day soaking wet will flog a 1000lb horse in the face, I don't stand a chance. The only reason I tolerate her is she is the absolute best broody and hands down raises the most predator savy chicks.
OMG… it’s a shame I have to pick just one emoji!!! I want to do…
❤️🤣👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom