We're new to BYC, and stumbled across Bob's heart-wrenching experience last night. My heart breaks for your sweet Leghorn, but are cheering for your Polish. Thank you for updating; sending comfort from NH.
Thank you so much. You are very sweet. Cheer me up. Tell me about your chickens with photos please!

Is Mum the Answer?

So now that the chicks seemed to have leveled off I have a very important consideration. Please everyone think this over and respond with your thoughts.

is it time for me to turn things over to Phyllis. Would she be better able to bring them along or would she react by pushing them away thinking they were sick?

For some reason I am thinking that Mum could get them to eat better than I can.

This is a serious question. Please give me your honest thoughts on this.

Is Mum the Answer?

So now that the chicks seemed to have leveled off I have a very important consideration. Please everyone think this over and respond with your thoughts.

is it time for me to turn things over to Phyllis. Would she be better able to bring them along or would she react by pushing them away thinking they were sick?

My answer, NO I wouldn't not yet. (But I'm not Phyllis) though I aspire to be like her some day!:hugs Maybe look but don't touch, and check Phyllis reaction?

Is Mum the Answer?

I don't have any experience but if Phyllis accepts them I think a live body and body heat and touch and feathers to beak into, as my Buckeyes did with my t-shirt when they were tiny - as @fuentemoon said about live touch? - would be helpful, especially as the buff is pretty alone in that the other polish is not acting right yet, so there's little group dynamics that would encourage them to eat and drink. That's also a problem for that Polish, she's not acting right and so is there a danger Phyllis will reject her? On the other hand is there danger in trying this? With you right there to safeguard? Is it okay to bring a broody there now and have her "wake up" there in the brooder with the chicks, instead of waiting until early morning?

This is where he stays as I go shopping.

Am I going crazy or does this cat have such intelligence. He actually does what I ask, except when I say the word wait
He is a cat so he does what you ask just so long long as it is what he happens to want to do it

I'm going to post said question in a moment.
I have no specific knowledge but my gut feel is keep them under your care for another 24 hours (she is a new Mom and may not know what to do) to make sure they are improving.
I would definitely give them a plush toy or feather duster or both to sooth them. They have had one hell of a journey so it is not surprising it is taking a bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom