@BY Bob
Okay, I think I've got the general idea.
Sad to read you lost one. Chickens in the post is a pretty horrible experience for all concerend.
Dehydration you'll know about and from what I've read you're doing all you can to deal with it.
However, a box in the post is not a good start to any life and the damage t does even when the chicks arrive promptly isn't well research and documented.
They do need to eat solids as soon as possible.
I would cook up some white fish and then, put the chicks in with Phyliss. You have to take a chance here. If she rejects them then you have an awful lot of work in front of you trying to get them fit and later independant.
Feed the fish to Phyliss and the chicks at the nest site. If you can get Phyliss to call them out to eat (you should place them at the rear end of Phyliss)
Unfortunately you've lost some time here and they are now of that age where they will try to adventure. Of course, Phyliss will want them underneath her if she'll take them at all. I don't know what to do in the event that Phyliss loses her temper if the chicks wont respond to her command.
Basically, chicks need their mums from the moment they hatch if they are to have the best survival chances so the quicker youu try to get thhem under Phyliss the better......like now.
Make scrabbled egg as well and chop it super small and give that at the nest as well.
Try these things out. I'll be around tonight and tomorrow.
Good luck Bob and I'll cross my fingers that Phyliss will take them on.

@BY Bob
Sad to read you lost one. Chickens in the post is a pretty horrible experience for all concerend.
Dehydration you'll know about and from what I've read you're doing all you can to deal with it.
However, a box in the post is not a good start to any life and the damage t does even when the chicks arrive promptly isn't well research and documented.
I would cook up some white fish and then, put the chicks in with Phyliss. You have to take a chance here. If she rejects them then you have an awful lot of work in front of you trying to get them fit and later independant.
Feed the fish to Phyliss and the chicks at the nest site. If you can get Phyliss to call them out to eat (you should place them at the rear end of Phyliss)
Unfortunately you've lost some time here and they are now of that age where they will try to adventure. Of course, Phyliss will want them underneath her if she'll take them at all. I don't know what to do in the event that Phyliss loses her temper if the chicks wont respond to her command.
Basically, chicks need their mums from the moment they hatch if they are to have the best survival chances so the quicker youu try to get thhem under Phyliss the better......like now.
Make scrabbled egg as well and chop it super small and give that at the nest as well.
Thank you so much @Shadrach! I knew you'd know what to do & I'm so glad you turned up! :hugs

@BY Bob
Whew! Now I can add to the thread posts since you've had time to catch up and respond.

So so glad you're here, Shad. We missed you and your timing was impeccable.

Bob...you've got this! :hugs

@BY Bob
Brilliant advice!

Every time you give advice I think "why didn't I think of that??"

Is Mum the Answer?

So now that the chicks seemed to have leveled off I have a very important consideration. Please everyone think this over and respond with your thoughts.

is it time for me to turn things over to Phyllis. Would she be better able to bring them along or would she react by pushing them away thinking they were sick?

For some reason I am thinking that Mum could get them to eat better than I can.

This is a serious question. Please give me your honest thoughts on this.
I think the main advantage Phyllis has is she can speak chicken. I remember wishing I could tell Platina to eat when she wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom