You have really had a hard time with chicks :hugs

How is Platina today?
She is a very happy dodo bird and has gained almost two ounces with a full crop. Her stance is still a little funky, but that's mostly because her feathers are bigger than her body.
IMG_20210805_173329355.jpg

Not so unfortunately.
I know I've written about this before but as a rule one doesn't let the most junior hens sit and hatch.
I know some people do manage to slip chicks under broodies and get away with it. I don't understand how that happens and it isn't something I would try in the normal course of events.
Ah...ok. :( drama either way. I'm not sure I've seen your thoughts on this before. It has been an idea I've been tossing around to circumvent my rooster issue. I now need to rethink.

You can force feed them Bob. You would need to be very carefull. A tiny bit of food wiped onto their beak and gently pushed in while you hold the beak open.
People do tube feed chicks but it isn't easy.
Very good point. Bob, you can do this with the soaked crumble. Make it into a paste and swipe a little into the beak. I personally go for the lower beak, on the side. How about you, Shad?

It wont save the little ladies. Probably just make me angrier fighting with them.
Of course Bob. I understand. It’s more important that you focus on your chicks now and get them healthy. :hugs

I’m just feeling so vengeful at the post office on your behalf right now.
But that really doesn’t help at this point. ☹️

Ah...ok. :( drama either way. I'm not sure I've seen your thoughts on this before. It has been an idea I've been tossing around to circumvent my rooster issue. I now need to rethink.
I had a Barred Rock growing up that would accept any chick any time she was broody. She raised, and I'm estimating here, over 100 meat birds for us.

Very good point. Bob, you can do this with the soaked crumble. Make it into a paste and swipe a little into the beak. I personally go for the lower beak, on the side. How about you, Shad?
Disclaimer, I have never done this with chicks, but I think you should try it, especially if my ideas don’t work out.

Back
Top Bottom