I feel bad putting my old girls in the old coop but you were right Alex, they are divas and it's my fault I really have spoiled them. They are causing unrest and even people two roads up hear their rants. They have to learn they are not the be all . :(

They are tucked up warm and in dry straw. The littles are now in the palace

Too much wind today. Unsatisfactory conditions to fly out (I’m not stupid. Flight control said its too dangerous to fly from here! What do I do? I can’t just stick this plane in my pocket and find another airport :thnext time, I’m buying a jet! Gezzz! As I said before “Life sucks and then we die “ seems I have some phone calls to make now!:(

:hmmOh dear, I t hink I owe a chicken tax, but can't figure out how to get the new camera to upload to the computer. :idunno ?Is there a tax on a delayed tax paid????:idunno
Absolutely. The tax authorities charge interest. Soon you will need to be getting a whole flock of chickens just to keep up with the tax demands.
Best get that camera uploading!
:lau

Too much wind today. Unsatisfactory conditions to fly out (I’m not stupid. Flight control said its too dangerous to fly from here! What do I do? I can’t just stick this plane in my pocket and find another airport :thnext time, I’m buying a jet! Gezzz! As I said before “Life sucks and then we die “ seems I have some phone calls to make now!:(
A friendly call from a caring friend is a huge comfort. :hugs💓

Lillie, please come back home. And Lord Jesus please heal Bob’s family and heal everything . I have my own problems today, but I care more my friends, than I do myself at times. Nothing compares to true friendships. Which I lost today. My friend from Texas died this morning 🙁this hurts!
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. Be kind to yourself.
:hugs

This is an interesting and according to the people I've spoken to about the topic whose knowledge I respect; badly missunderstood.
The best free rangers are fast. The colour that is supposed to aid camouflage doesn't play much of a role. All the ariel predators I'm told hunt on movement.
Sitting hens is a good example, I used to wonder how a couple of the tribes hens managed to not get taken by hawks because of the exposed natare of the sites they chose to sit at. Donk, and her mother Dink, Fray, Tan, Thunder and of course Cheepy prefered exposed site. Their colours ranged from almost pure white to black and white and about every shade of brown. They survived by keeping perfectly still and when they moved from their nests they moved to cover very quickly.
Of course, this may not help much when it comes to ground predators who may locate the hen by smell. I am told that some hens more used to feral sitting choose strong smelling foliage to help hide in. Rosemary and Thyme bushes are favorite in many warm climates.
So, it's movement that usually gives the hens away. Donk, who is black and white and sticks out like a sore thumb once you know where she is is virually invisable while she is still. She looks like an odd looking rock.
Fayoumies (probably my favourite breed) are just too fast for hawks and the feral ones will fly into trees when in danger.
It's speed and stillness that counts most.
I have one data point related to the stillness and that was the duck that raised her babies in my pool.
Her first nest was ultimately destroyed by a raccoon and she built another one nearby. But while she was on the first nest it was amazing how completely impossible it was to see her even from 3 feet away and knowing exactly where she was. She was absolutely still. Amazing to watch.
I assume this is related to the trance that you all describe with your broody hens. I imagine it is easier to stay totally still if you are in a trance and not distracted by everything going on around you.

And it’s not like I could just jump into the Lexus and drive to Houston at the moment! :he:he:he:he:he:heI really am beating myself up over this! Where is my emotional support rooster Jaffar when I need him the most? He’s out chasing chicks! At least he has his act together (just saying)
No one answered the phone, when I just tried to call.

Back
Top Bottom