I read it and I hope Bob did too as a friend helping by 'telling truth'.
Thank you, RC. I wasn't trying to be mean but I know from sad experience dithering rarely gives one the outcome one is hoping for. :idunnoI mightn't have been commenting much but I have been reading along & paying attention to the entire Phyllis saga & like Bob I'm hoping for the best possible outcome.

Yes, that's it! I like that it keeps track of average egg weights and monthly egg laying and even the little ribbons for most productive layer and highest average egg size is fun!
Thanks for the suggestion, I started with pen and paper back in June but got slack haha, the app might get me back on track 👍🏻

I have been outwitted by a chicken.
The plan last night was to grab a sample of Minnie’s diarrhea by placing a piece of cardboard where she roosts.
This morning I head out with my baggie to collect and drive to the vet.
She left nothing but a feather!
She must have moved in the night but I didn’t catch that on camera and nor can I work out where she moved to.
I will try again tonight.
She does still have diarrhea but maybe a bit less bad. Her comb doesn’t seem that much paler than Dotty’s - here they both are - first Minnie then Dotty. Do you agree?
She ate Kefir, rice and beef liver and she looks bright eyed to me. In the last two photos her tail is down but she is alert and she then went to bathe and her tail went back up.
I am still worried so if any of you spot anything in the photos or have suggestions let me know!
412C6751-DB87-4A7C-B98A-2D2D268208F1.jpeg
D309654D-DCFE-4A74-9BEB-4F36EA47E920.jpeg
7B047D0B-58E2-4C6A-A8F5-4844353D46B4.jpeg
60EB6852-0722-450C-AE60-DCADDD9E6359.jpeg
606DB76A-46CB-439C-8956-304AF62F670B.jpeg

This is Lima. She's has a defomed throat and possibly trachea. I don't think she has gapeworm. I can feel the deformation. What this seems to mean in her case is she won't eat anything much larger than 2mm diameter. She's my favourite hen.
For such a frail little thing she's super fiesty and I have no idea why, but the others, bar two, do not bother her. She's mostly on her own, or with Henry who seems to look out for her. I've watched her fight one of the other hens that do try to bully her.
We made her some quinoa soup and she ate/drank this with great enthusiasm. If I mash rather than break walnuts she'll eat that as well. She desperately needs some high carb and protein food. She's a bag of bones and moulting and regrowing feather damage I assume she got when at the battery. She forages and eats grass tips, tiny bugs and I've seen her eat a few rather thin worms. I sat her on my lap this afternoon and had an exploratory feel along her throat, her crop and gizzard. Somehow she has filled her crop. I'm going to try her on a chick feed mash.
PA080367.JPG
PA150477.JPG
PA150478.JPG
PA150493.JPG

This is Lima. She's has a defomed throat and possibly trachea. I don't think she has gapeworm. I can feel the deformation. What this seems to mean in her case is she won't eat anything much larger than 2mm diameter. She's my favourite hen.
For such a frail little thing she's super fiesty and I have no idea why, but the others, bar two, do not bother her. She's mostly on her own, or with Henry who seems to look out for her. I've watched her fight one of the other hens that do try to bully her.
We made her some quinoa soup and she ate/drank this with great enthusiasm. If I mash rather than break walnuts she'll eat that as well. She desperately needs some high carb and protein food. She's a bag of bones and moulting and regrowing feather damage I assume she got when at the battery. She forages and eats grass tips, tiny bugs and I've seen her eat a few rather thin worms. I sat her on my lap this afternoon and had an exploratory feel along her throat, her crop and gizzard. Somehow she has filled her crop. I'm going to try her on a chick feed mash.
View attachment 2867008View attachment 2867010View attachment 2867011View attachment 2867014
Hi Lima. Congratulations on your new name. :frow

I do know it's Friday and I've got fluffy butts.
I haven't named this one yet but I've been seeing a lot of her bum since she's been out and about. Her head is usually buried down some hole or other.
PA150520.JPG

No prizes for this one. It is of course Matilda.
PA150500.JPG

No prizes for this bum either, unless it's yours of course. It's the seemingly permenatly fluffy rear end of Cloud.
IMG_20211014_162141_716.jpg

I do know it's Friday and I've got fluffy butts.
I haven't named this one yet but I've been seeing a lot of her bum since she's been out and about. Her head is usually buried down some hole or other.
View attachment 2867019
No prizes for this on. It is of course Matilda.
View attachment 2867021
No prizes for this bum either, unless it's yours of course. It's the seemingly permenatly fluffy rear end of Cloud.
View attachment 2867026
Looking good! I assume head down a hole is a good sign in a chicken

I was seeing play fight as well. The cat could have killed them both if it really wanted to.
Yes I saw that, sorry I didn't quote it. Are your cats' play-fights really this intense to start? Though Eowyn is new to your house, that may influence things. The expression on this cat I've not seen in ordinary play-fights in my experience, I've never had housecats look quite so mean! That really fierce look was always reserved for intruding cats.

It is sad. I hope I didn’t offend anyone by posting it. I was so impressed with the hens standing together, which is why I posted it. I thought it demonstrated more complex socialization; a coordinated effort to protect each other. Smart birds!
Oh no offense, it was interesting and okay for me. It appears no one was hurt.

Back
Top Bottom