At Least She is not on My Chair

20211027_174756.jpg

20211027_174551.jpg

Not really, @rural mouse 's suggestions on cords and what to do were great. As far as waterers, I use a heated nipple waterer, got it from Premier I think. I also use a heated doggie bowl, but they evaporate quickly, so as @rural mouse ? said you might have to be filling it often if you get that.

Right, you don't need a brooder heater or a coop warmer for fully-feathered pullets or chickens, @BY Bob had that there for his young chicks when they weren't fully-feathered, and now it's handy for after-swim warmups. :p

I have one like he has but mine got quite hot, too hot to touch and so I didn't trust it in the close quarters of my coop. I used a heating pad they could stand and sit on instead, but only while they feathered out. I have that stand-up coop warmer now for horizontal use under the red worm bins in our very cold work room, for winter use for the worms.

But chickens do need to be out of direct drafts, yet have really well-ventilated coops. There are very good articles on ventilation design here on BYC.
My waterer in the coop is a flat-backed rubber bucket with nipples added to it. I'm using a round rubber dish for a lid (wedged into the top) so it can't vacuum seal. The cord goes to the lamp which is aimed at the bucket. Testing this out this winter.
20211027_154339.jpg

I can state that a lamp aimed at a rubber dish does NOT keep it from freezing AND they can kick all sorts of stuff into the dish/flip the dish. Those dishes have been relegated to catch at the bottom of the downspouts/under the water spigots around the yard.
20210926_091434.jpg

I've also got a couple of crockpots set to warm around to keep open water in deep winter (they mostly don't use them unless the downspout tubs are frozen).
20211027_154430.jpg

This one needs refilling.

Just in case, NO chickens do not like water and while they may paddle like mad to save their lives, they can't swim and while I'm at it they can't fly either. Yes I know they can get off the ground and jump into trees. I can do that, just not as well.
I am picturing you jumping in trees. 🤭

🌳🌲🌴🌲🌴🌳🌲🌴🌳🌲🌴🌳🌲🌳🌴

Whether it ruins the yard depends on the style of fence, surely? Pickets, glass panels, modern style uprights, there's a lot of choice.
The yard is small and by fencing off the pool you cut up a small yard even more. I will bounce ideas off of her but I don't usually win these things.

Hence:
20211021_173359.jpg

Back
Top Bottom