Me or my house guest, couldn’t trim Jaffar’s spurs. I’m taking him today to my veterinarian who handles my horse Chaco. He has hoof cutting tools that I don’t have. Jaffar’s spurs are really large in diameter. And Jaffar gets a ride there in the Lexus Chicken wagon! The vet has to come 150 miles but so what. That’s 241.4 kilometers away for you Aussie peeps :gig
That's ok, Alex. I'm old. I still work in miles, feet & inches. 🤣

:hugs:love Rc you're a life saver

I so need help with these mice.
@Marie2020
This is a good trap that is not dangerous should the chickens want to 'inspect' it (I've had good luck with it myself):
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jt-eaton-repeater-multi-catch-live-trap?cm_vc=-10005

Also, I saw a youtube video on making a homemade 'rat/mouse catcher' that seems to work well. You can either leave the bottom empty for humane removal, or put water in the bottom so they drown.

The only downside to this trap (above) is your chickens will eat the peanut butter if it is in their run - so when they are locked in the coop for the night, I would put this one out.

Last edited:
Oh I got a laugh this evening as I watched roosting. I think I have explained before that they have to sleep in the order in which they go up the ladder and they all want to be at the far end by the wall.
Well normally if the Roadrunners happen to be up there and Maggie marches along the roost they take one look at her and fly down and come back up when she is settled.
But today Diana went upstairs before Maggie. You could see the Roadrunners thought they were safe where they were so they settled down comfortably.
I swear (I did not get video) that what Diana does is she puts her head under their fluffy butts and tips them off. No pecking, no violence but very effective nonetheless!
:lau

@BY Bob
You may remember my friend in Catalonia who looked after feral Fayoumi chickens. He had problems catching them.
He had one of these.

https://www.net-gun.com/

I was wondering if they can be hired in the US or even bought at a reasonable price. They are reasonably easy to use and I wondered if perhaps you could net the hawks and then pas them on to whatever authority deals with these creatures.
I WANT ONE!
Mostly to torment my kids and their friends.

Oh I got a laugh this evening as I watched roosting. I think I have explained before that they have to sleep in the order in which they go up the ladder and they all want to be at the far end by the wall.
Well normally if the Roadrunners happen to be up there and Maggie marches along the roost they take one look at her and fly down and come back up when she is settled.
But today Diana went upstairs before Maggie. You could see the Roadrunners thought they were safe where they were so they settled down comfortably.
I swear (I did not get video) that what Diana does is she puts her head under their fluffy butts and tips them off. No pecking, no violence but very effective nonetheless!
:lau
Oh I wish you had gotten video!

Me or my house guest, couldn’t trim Jaffar’s spurs. I’m taking him today to my veterinarian who handles my horse Chaco. He has hoof cutting tools that I don’t have. Jaffar’s spurs are really large in diameter. And Jaffar gets a ride there in the Lexus Chicken wagon! The vet has to come 150 miles but so what. That’s 241.4 kilometers away for you Aussie peeps :gig
There is no need to cut them. Given it's Jaffa who is happy for you to hold him you can file them. Just do a bit every day.
If (a picture would help) they are seriously curved then a junior hacksaw will take off a few mm easily.
All you need is a fine engineering file.

I'm back from visiting family for a long weekend! Hope I didn't miss too much while traveling...will try to catch up on later this week.
In the meantime, a through and through mug shot for Monday.View attachment 2920177
In case anyone was curious why she was pulled in...
521264251076575118.png

Without a permit! :th
I go away for a long weekend and the family misbehaves.

Bob, as you can see, kiddo has tried his hand at photoshop after being inspired by yours 😂

Back
Top Bottom