Glad I was out there to see it all transpire! But now I have a sense of urgency to get a proper run installed at Spring breakup. No more freedom in the paddock anymore I am afraid....
Paddock, I use those all over, to lock up the shed, the storage unit, my lawnmower, etc. etc. oh paddockā€¦ thought you said pad lock šŸ”’.. :oops: (even bad jokes are still better than no jokes)

A poet, a comedian šŸ˜

You're a talented Rooster
Notice Jaffar at his Rock Garden! Heā€™s saying ā€œThe one of you, who wonā€™t take flight, you will be my date tonight!ā€ :lau:gig 34D634CA-0239-4314-9DF8-B9F6C1730504.jpeg

What's the most fascinating detail so far RC?
Well, a lot really!
I have been struck by how chickens were revered and worshipped and were the pets of royalty rather than food for the people. There is at least one theory that the shape of a crown (as worn by kings and queens) is modelled on a rooster's comb with the points etc.
It was also interesting to read the research efforts to find the DNA of the Red Jungle Fowl because they interbreed with domesticated chickens so only in very remote areas were they possibly 'pure'.
I had not really appreciated how far man's association with chicken went back. The attached is a sketch of a chicken from Egypt dated 1300-1100 BC. It is in the British Museum apparently.
Right now I am in the middle of the whole question of man's migration to the new world and the evidence of the Pacific vs the Atlantic route with evidence from chicken bones.

Chicken Egypt 1300-1100 BC.JPG

Notice Jaffar at his Rock Garden! Heā€™s saying ā€œThe one of you, who wonā€™t take flight, you will be my date tonight!ā€ :lau:gigView attachment 2962928
Poor Jaffar might be unlucky.

Nice to see no snow, we r slated to get about 8" of it tonight and tomorrow.

Not sure how they would drink from it šŸ¤£ have visions of ending up with chicken soup šŸ˜²
If you have a crockpot, fill it to the top, put it on the ground. Then set up stuff around it to raise the "floor" to it, like some blocks or bricks, so the chickens can easily reach the top.
Alternatively what I have right now is a heated dog water bowl, and I put that up on a block so stuff doesn't get kicked into it. I have a heated horizontal nipple waterer that I like and worked well last year, occasionally iced up on one of the nipples, and I just haven't gotten around to using it. I like watching how the hens drink from the surface of water these days. It evaporates quite quickly when it's really cold though.

Back
Top Bottom