Question: what does everyone use for grit. Now that everything is buried in snow I need a source for them. They had access to my limestone screenings until yesterday! Now there is no gravel etc for them to source grit.
This is a good realization on your part. You do need to supply grit in the winter. I buy it at Tractor Supply and supply it on top of a bucket for them to eat.

For example
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-poultry-grit-25-lb?cm_vc=-10015

VideoCapture_20220118-203411.jpg

Thank you and Drumsticks offspring are just as sweet, well, Raven and Blueberry with their antics are the exception. They are for the most part good hens, unless a egg is involved, then all bets are off with Raven. His 2 sons I kept are wonderful, and from those who have gotten back to me so are the sons of his I placed. My mom actually claims Basil is a better behaved boy then Drumstick, we will have to just disagree on that one. She is basing that off of when Drummie first started to take interest in the girls he was a little rough due to his inexperience. Basil has been gentle with them since day 1 when he became head rooster. Basil was also wonderful with the 2 late hatches of chicks as top boy. He really did benefit from the time he spent being his daddy's shadow and watching everything he did. Bubba is also a sweetheart and is gentle with what he perceives as his hens. He was really too young to test him around new chicks this fall and the momma's ran him off if he got close. Of the 2 boys Bubba is my favorite, simply because he likes me. Basil is Rosie's boy. I'm ok with that as she spent the time taming him while I focused on Squirrel when Momma hen was done raising them. I will say that as Basil gets older he looks more and more like his daddy. I both love and hate that, sometimes it hurts just looking at him.
Drumstick and the girls this past summer.
View attachment 2965303
Basil and his ladies the other day.
View attachment 2965304
And not the best shot of Bubba, he would not stand still.
View attachment 2965305View attachment 2965307
Basil and Drumstick really do look so much alike. Handsome boys all. 🥰

Question: what does everyone use for grit. Now that everything is buried in snow I need a source for them. They had access to my limestone screenings until yesterday! Now there is no gravel etc for them to source grit.
I have bought a big bag of grit, and put out a cup of it, just like I do for oyster shell. I make a point of keeping it filled in winter, though in the summer, as long as they get free range time, I don't worry about it so much, as there is plenty of natural grit where I am.

Back
Top Bottom