Hope you have a gentleman for a rooster. You might benefit from reading any of @Shadrach 's articles, he is very knowledgeable on hen/rooster/flock dynamics. Hens invite a roosters attentions and a good rooster respects the hens.

Being a hen locked up with nowhere to run, trapped with a potentially rough, and relentless rooster in 5 and 10 square feet, a rooster who has no manners or training by an experienced older rooster, sounds like a nightmare for the poor hens. Be careful who you put in there together.

Sorry but unless I am mistaken or off-base this sounds like a plan you have to raise and sell chickens in an ongoing breeding program, correct? Can you put the hens and a rooster that you want to breed into a large proper run and coop of their own? Long term, that is a more healthy and humane way of going about it and the way I've seen breeders do it here on BYC.

You might concentrate on a certain breed for your entire flock and sidestep the whole separation issue. Also look at @RebeccaBoyd 's posts here or ask her advice, she breeds chickens and sells chicks in a free-range situation.
I just found a hole in my local market with a breed I love. To me local is a 2 hour distance one way. I went that distance to acquire my original Marans. My local Rural King offers Midnight Majesty Marans, which is not the same as Black Copper Marans. What I can offer up from my current flock this year when I hatch will be pure Black Copper Marans, Marans mixes and pure silkies. If they are sold as straight run a few days after hatching to make sure they are eating and drinking well the pure marans will be 4 per chick, the mixes 2 per chick and the silkies will go as 5 per chick. The longer I keep them price will adjust accordingly, and known pullets will be a little bit more then a known cockerel. I can also offer up if they want them hatching eggs of each variety.

Oh and something I forgot that while it is extremely important to me, it may not be important to others. I take into consideration the temperament of the rooster. I personally do not and can not have a jerk rooster. In my experience breeding from my drummie, who was a perfect gentleman, temperaments can be passed down to their sons. If I had a stunning boy who was a butt hole, I would not breed from him. If you hatch, your going to get boys in the mix, and finding homes for boys is hard enough that I do not want to have the added trouble of finding a home for a jerk.

Love that amazing fantail 💖

My silkie Fluffy decided to stay in the nest box last night, and likely laid the egg I found sometime during the night!!

My gang has been active also, the chickies where scattered about roosting everywhere... I guess full-ish moon could give enough light, it's still big enough and bright enough to cast shadows of the trees onto the snow! Good to know others have wanderers at night (ahh! A new song to do the wanderer!!)
I think that the winter nights are too long for them. They get hungry. I am supposing that they feel safe enough to not be afraid to un-roost eat, lay, and go back to bed.

This could work, but you also would not need to keep the boy in with your breeding girls 24/7. He could just visit the girls every couple days for a short period to service the ladies. If you have them all free ranging now, and different breeds of Roos with them, first thing your going to want to do is lock your breeder girls up for roughly 3 weeks with no boy. Since hens can store sperm this is your clean out period. After 3 weeks take your selected boy, put him in with the girls for maybe a hour at most every other day since their coop will be on the smaller side. Wait a week then start collecting and storing their eggs for incubation that way you know for sure who the father is. This is just one method I was told about and I would prefer it over keeping the boy in with the hens locked up in a smaller space.
This makes good sense. I'm so glad you are here to help.

Sorry but unless I am mistaken or off-base this sounds like a plan you have to raise and sell chickens in an ongoing breeding program, correct? Can you put the hens and a rooster that you want to breed into a large proper run and coop of their own? Long term, that is a more healthy and humane way of going about it and the way I've seen breeders do it here on BYC.
Yes, this is a very small breeding program that i do alone, I will build my own or by a bigger one at an auction so yes i can put the hen and roo in a bigger run,
I'm so glad i asked because i don't want to have unhappy chickens.

Thanks for everyone who helped me figure this out

Yes, this is a very small breeding program that i do alone, I will build my own or by a bigger one at an auction so yes i can put the hen and roo in a bigger run,
I'm so glad i asked because i don't want to have unhappy chickens.

Thanks for everyone who helped me figure this out
So glad you found us all helpful. What kind of chickens are you going to breed?

Back
Top Bottom