Indeed it is. Like laying eggs in the middle of the night. She is a messed up kid. But I don’t really know what to do other than let her get on with it.
She got warm scrambled egg this morning and I think I will get some more starter/grower which is 22% protein. I suspect it is not healthy to give that much protein long term but maybe OK for short periods.
Just make certain they have calcium from another source and it's OK if they are on starter for a while. I would give her all the protein I could right now.

Hi folks. Have missed you the last few days. Might have to move soon, and frantically looking for a place that would allow a dog and ten chickens. Found one, but it’s half the size of this with no garage. We’d have to get a HUGE storage unit for our ebikes, kayaks, gym equipment, lawnmowers, etc.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. This is going to be stressful for sure. :hugs :hugs

Mysterious Chicken Affliction
This morning when I let my chickens out, I noticed this affliction that nearly a third of my birds had. It was a sudden onset, as they were ALL fine when I put them to be last night! Can anyone help with diagnosis and/or treatment? With such quick and rampant onset, I am very concerned. I'm posting pictures below to assist with any diagnosis/treatment.:fl
View attachment 2968569View attachment 2968573View attachment 2968574View attachment 2968575View attachment 2968578View attachment 2968579

There was no obvious carnage, no remains of the missing feet/legs left laying around...whatever caused it must have a real chicken foot fetish!

Image 1 -  Pata De Gallo Plastico / Plastic Leg for roosters

Temp this morning was about -3F (-20C), and the girls were not happy. Despite some bedding in the run, many of them had a foot tucked up in their feathers!
I have a strict rule about standing on two feet at all times. :old If I catch one of my chickens standing on one leg, I threaten them with a trip to KFC !:barnie

Just make certain they have calcium from another source and it's OK if they are on starter for a while. I would give her all the protein I could right now.
Good advice, thank you. They have oyster shell and egg shells available. They also have layer feed in one of the feeders. Minnie is the only one laying at the moment which she does every 3-4 days or so. I will get some more of the starter/grower - they all love it of course!

How did she get there!

Phyllis is very diffferent physically from all of my other hens. Her wing to body ratio is much higher. Phyllis can hover like a helicopter. I have even seen her gain altitude while hovering. Such an event occurred yesterday with interesting results.

She was jumping down off her porch and she stumbled. Her immediate response was to start flying so she didn't land awkwardly. Well she gained altitude until she ran into the drop door and wound up standing on the backside of the door. She walked her way to the top of the door and there she was stuck.

View attachment 2968560

From this point the video below covers how she worked her way out of this predicament. Did BY Bob save her? Did Aurora yell at her until she got down? Did she land on Hattie? You'll have to watch to find out!

I needed popcorn and a soda for that drama! :pop

How did she get there!

Phyllis is very diffferent physically from all of my other hens. Her wing to body ratio is much higher. Phyllis can hover like a helicopter. I have even seen her gain altitude while hovering. Such an event occurred yesterday with interesting results.

She was jumping down off her porch and she stumbled. Her immediate response was to start flying so she didn't land awkwardly. Well she gained altitude until she ran into the drop door and wound up standing on the backside of the door. She walked her way to the top of the door and there she was stuck.

View attachment 2968560

From this point the video below covers how she worked her way out of this predicament. Did BY Bob save her? Did Aurora yell at her until she got down? Did she land on Hattie? You'll have to watch to find out!

I think she looked comfortable and smug up on the door. She knew the big girls could not get up there. Watching the video got me wondering though, have you ever considered trimming her crest feathers around her eyes? I know they are not allowed out unless under supervision now, but, with your hawk problem she might benefit with a slight trim.

Thank you for saying that. I suggest everyone zoom in on this photo of Lucky. You can really see the lacing on her feathers. I think she gets prettier every single day. Add to that how she eats out of my hand now, and sits by me even when Neds off gallivanting........its going to be hard to say goodbye.

She's beautiful
View attachment 2294185
What a beautiful model she makes :)

Back
Top Bottom