It has taken a full year, but Bubba or as grandma now refers to him "Big Red" has finally learned to pose. He may never be as photogenic as his daddy was or Branch is for that matter, but at least now he walks around proudly with his head up. Today is also the boys first birthday. I snuck out a raisin cake and tried to share it with them only. Like the good boys they are they may each have eaten one bite and called the hens and chicks over to share the spoils.
DSCN7691.JPG
DSCN7689.JPG
DSCN7688.JPG
DSCN7677.JPG
DSCN7676.JPG
DSCN7669.JPG
DSCN7668.JPG

And Branch crowing Happy Birthday to him and his brother.

It has taken a full year, but Bubba or as grandma now refers to him "Big Red" has finally learned to pose. He may never be as photogenic as his daddy was or Branch is for that matter, but at least now he walks around proudly with his head up. Today is also the boys first birthday. I snuck out a raisin cake and tried to share it with them only. Like the good boys they are they may each have eaten one bite and called the hens and chicks over to share the spoils.View attachment 3113645View attachment 3113646View attachment 3113648View attachment 3113649View attachment 3113650View attachment 3113652
And Branch crowing Happy Birthday to him and his brother.
What a proud handsome young men

Jaffa will be jealous :D

Wow. What a wonderful life you have there ❤
Actually it's the animals that have the great life 😁

My life is full of slugging, and slogging. Up before 5am, work all day, fall into bed exhausted 😆

Always something stressful, or worrisome happening....

But then you stop and look up and see the night sky with the northern lights and stars... Or glorious sunrise and sunsets .... And all is well with the world 🤗

An abrupt awakening for me today. Around 04:30 I heard a big explosion, and a flash of light. Probably the next few properties over. I’m not sure what it was, but I went out to check on the chickens anyways and were all okay (but just as confused as I was) :old :idunno No harm to the fowl thank god!
Wow that would be startling!! Could it have been an electric transformer? They go all the time here in the icy cold! Very loud and bright flash.

No lips. 💋 That's why they can't tell you what is wrong. In case you were really asking.
It's a huge problem. I keep asking how that one last sparrow is getting in to the chickens' funrun and they simply will not use sign language. Or point. A simple point with a foot or wing is all I need.

:gig

Quick update.
There was no predawn attack by Dotty and the Hooligans got themselves back down to their ground floor apartment without incident. As I came in to the Chicken Palace they all spilled out into the main area right in front of a very grump Maggie (grumpy because her nest box was occupied). She just gave them a stern look and they got out of her way. Feels like we are getting closer to integration.
Minnie is still poorly. She keeps shaking her head. I don’t see any discharge but I wonder if she has an ear infection. I have emailed vet to ask about that and I won’t do anything until we have the fecal sample back, but does anyone have experience of chickens getting ear infections?
Janet has a mild, chronic case of coryza which is relieved whenever someone else in the flock has to go on lincospectin. She shakes her head when it bothers her - maybe once or twice a day, usually in the evening. Long ago, her pus clotted into a lump which gave her pain and she needed surgery to flush her airways.

The other hens either have never caught it (they don't live in crowded conditions) or they have it even milder than she does.

Edit: if you want to read about it, one of the final posts on the topic is here. You should be able to click or scroll backwards from there.

Last edited:
Quick update.
There was no predawn attack by Dotty and the Hooligans got themselves back down to their ground floor apartment without incident. As I came in to the Chicken Palace they all spilled out into the main area right in front of a very grump Maggie (grumpy because her nest box was occupied). She just gave them a stern look and they got out of her way. Feels like we are getting closer to integration.
Minnie is still poorly. She keeps shaking her head. I don’t see any discharge but I wonder if she has an ear infection. I have emailed vet to ask about that and I won’t do anything until we have the fecal sample back, but does anyone have experience of chickens getting ear infections?
Have not heard about birds and ear infection buy head shaking is a good sign of such things.

Please keep us updated 💖💖

Back
Top Bottom