Have you tried grafting a branch? That is what the nurseries orchards do.

I've never tried to do that but I have a young pear tree that I could try it with. I'll read up on it.
We do that a lot here but it's a bit late in the year depending on your zone. We do it in February and ideally to graft a pear tree you would need a wild pear tree to do it, or a quince tree (edit : I see that you do have a young pear tree, that's perfect for the job!) And a special balm to help heal the cut. We have about 50 percent success but even if the graft succeeds it take a long time for the new tree to have fruits. It does have way better chances of producing fruits than by just doing cuttings : even if the cuttings do grow you will probably get a wild tree that will not give you the same fruits as the one it came from.

We're planning to mass graft the pear tree that's in the horses place in my last post, the tree my partner climbs on to pick pears for the horses. Like yours it give very special pears that are delicious and we can't find the likes of them anywhere.

Umm… I don’t know what I was trying to say here. :lau
Read just fine to me… then again some of what I typed this afternoon was pretty bad, I could hardly see my phone though with the sun, which was a nice change.

Edit to add I know the difference between your and you’re I just had my phone decide what I was trying to say, then when I re-read it… I didn’t think it was too bad, and no one has called me out on the grammar, spelling, and fully the wrong words yet.

We do that a lot here but it's a bit late in the year depending on your zone. We do it in February and ideally to graft a pear tree you would need a wild pear tree to do it, or a quince tree (edit : I see that you do have a young pear tree, that's perfect for the job!) And a special balm to help heal the cut. We have about 50 percent success but even if the graft succeeds it take a long time for the new tree to have fruits. It does have way better chances of producing fruits than by just doing cuttings : even if the cuttings do grow you will probably get a wild tree that will not give you the same fruits as the one it came from.

We're planning to mass graft the pear tree that's in the horses place in my last post, the tree my partner climbs on to pick pears for the horses. Like yours it give very special pears that are delicious and we can't find the likes of them anywhere.
One slight issue with this statement, based on a lot of personal experience taking cuttings (in my youth) for commercial growing purposes. The primary reason to propagate by cuttings is that the cutting is exactly the same genetically, including down to the chronological “age” of the plant, and it is often referred to as “cloning” for this reason. This becomes an issue if you are working with some of the newer auto flowering tomato varieties as the tiny cutting may flower at the wrong size regardless of the light cycle which is usually what it used to induce flowering in these particular tomato plants. However when working with non auto flowering genetics this is actually a benefit as you can have a genetically mature 3+ Month old tomato plant (or a few hundred or thousand plants) that is smaller and easier to prune and harvest, and manipulate the light cycle to induce flowering for ideally sized and shaped tomatoes. Also if you are growing a particular variety of tomato you can produce hundreds of uniform identical plants for ideal harvest all at one time of a reliable quality. Cuttings are the same as grafting, except where you are grafting into a particular root stick for a quality controlled by that like dwarfism, resistance to a particular disease, or more vigour. The fruit would be the same, but the rootstocks growth qualities would be more prominent. Very few commercial tomato growers here Grow from seeds or attempt to breed their own seeds at home, because taking cuttings is more reliable and effective. My province is known for its indoor tomato production, it’s our cottage industry, and when I was working at it employed more people than fishing, mining, and logging combined. I don’t personally enjoy those varieties of tomatoes, but it was a really good job for a long time.

Read just fine to me… then again some of what I typed this afternoon was pretty bad, I could hardly see my phone though with the sun, which was a nice change.

Edit to add I know the difference between your and you’re I just had my phone decide what I was trying to say, then when I re-read it… I didn’t think it was too bad, and no one has called me out on the grammar, spelling, and fully the wrong words yet.
Not yet. :gig

I don't think they'll be able to get that high. Snowy might have a crack at squeezing between the door and the post, but the installers can block that off if need be. For now, there's extra fence panelling at the bottom of the path as there are metal shavings in the garden. I need to see if we've got a strong enough magnet to pick them up.
Are you sure they are magnetic? That kind of fence is iften made of aluminum.

One slight issue with this statement, based on a lot of personal experience taking cuttings (in my youth) for commercial growing purposes. The primary reason to propagate by cuttings is that the cutting is exactly the same genetically, including down to the chronological “age” of the plant, and it is often referred to as “cloning” for this reason. This becomes an issue if you are working with some of the newer auto flowering tomato varieties as the tiny cutting may flower at the wrong size regardless of the light cycle which is usually what it used to induce flowering in these particular tomato plants. However when working with non auto flowering genetics this is actually a benefit as you can have a genetically mature 3+ Month old tomato plant (or a few hundred or thousand plants) that is smaller and easier to prune and harvest, and manipulate the light cycle to induce flowering for ideally sized and shaped tomatoes. Also if you are growing a particular variety of tomato you can produce hundreds of uniform identical plants for ideal harvest all at one time of a reliable quality. Cuttings are the same as grafting, except where you are grafting into a particular root stick for a quality controlled by that like dwarfism, resistance to a particular disease, or more vigour. The fruit would be the same, but the rootstocks growth qualities would be more prominent. Very few commercial tomato growers here Grow from seeds or attempt to breed their own seeds at home, because taking cuttings is more reliable and effective. My province is known for its indoor tomato production, it’s our cottage industry, and when I was working at it employed more people than fishing, mining, and logging combined. I don’t personally enjoy those varieties of tomatoes, but it was a really good job for a long time.
I didn't even know it was possible to grow a tomato plant from cutting! And I didn't know either about the cloning quality.
However I don't think all plants behave the same, though I don't have the explanation for it. For example we always reproduce vines by cutting, but apple , cherry and pear trees by grafting. I will ask the people who showed us why.
@GregnLety wouldn't hurt to try both methods!

I didn't even know it was possible to grow a tomato plant from cutting! And I didn't know either about the cloning quality.
However I don't think all plants behave the same, though I don't have the explanation for it. For example we always reproduce vines by cutting, but apple , cherry and pear trees by grafting. I will ask the people who showed us why.
@GregnLety wouldn't hurt to try both methods!
Speed of growth is one reason. Grafting uses an established root system which can take a tree years to develop from a seed or a cutting.

I don't call out people for those things...as google correct and phones are TERRIBLE about predicting your intentions...plus, I'm a terrible typist, and I'm on a computer (remember, no smart phone here!!!!). So, it would be like the pot calling the kettle black :lau Usually I get the intention anyways.:D

IMG_1051.JPG

Mum, I'm exhausted....gonna take a little nap on your computer, 'k?
IMG_1054.JPG

All that searching for Lulu was tiring!!!!
IMG_1037.JPG

And Mr. Kuzu man woke me up at 4am! No rest for the weary:(

That's wonderful! I hear it takes about 7 to 8 years for the graft to grow enough to produce fruit.

This past winter has been hard on my peach trees, I am going to to a severe pruning to see if I can get it back on track.

Back
Top Bottom