Best Laid Plans

Phyllis has not left the nest since the 22nd. Last night I made my mind up to take Phyllis off of the nest this morning. This would be day 3 without eating or drinking. When it came time to do it, I could not. I decided to give her until 1:00 pm. I had a break in my day and figured I could take her off the nest then.

At 12:35 this happened.

I wish she would get up daily but what can you do. I will continue to keep watch on her.
I just noticed while watching the other videos that Aurora laid her egg in nest box #1. Phyllis is sitting on it. I can remove the egg in the morning but will it be spoiled?

Lovely Irises. Ours aren't yet blooming...but buds are beginning to show. We must be about a week behind you.

I suspect Mr/Ms Bunny is actually wondering if it is safe to cross, or if your chickens have been chatting too much with @BY Bob 's on BeakBook and will run him off!
Bunnikins is going to have to watch out for that fox… :eek:

Yep, Australian brumbies for one. There’s a debate about culling them at the moment as they cause so much damage.
I was reading about the Exmoor ponies the other day. Their population is carefully managed to prevent excessive damage to their environment, with some young ponies being taken from the wild (but managed) breeding herd each season. From the little I saw, those extra ponies become riding ponies or go to privately owned stud farms. I'm guessing there would be some killed too.

I just noticed while watching the other videos that Aurora laid her egg in nest box #1. Phyllis is sitting on it. I can remove the egg in the morning but will it be spoiled?
I would still eat it, but quickly and crack it into a separate bowl first… it takes a few days to get anything growing if you have a rooster, so it should still be fine. Anything over a couple days at broody body temp though I think is risky. I wouldn’t put it in a selling dozen, because I have no idea how long it might sit in someone’s fridge before consumption and it might go off quicker

Thirsty day
20220522_115943.jpg
The big kids have the nipples figured out

20220525_171827.jpg
The littles are learning WHOLEY through observation of all the biggers.
20220524_185320.jpg
The adults prefer "wild" water, wilder if it's available.

Had a similar situation this morning with what I hope are NOT my geese. Slight chicken alarming consistent with the “geese outside alerts”. The meat chicks all made it through the night. We had some consistent rain from about 11-4am, needless to say I slept very lightly and kept shining a flashlight out my window to see if they looked ok or a tarp had blown off. I stumbled out in my sleeping clothes, which were conveniently my daytime tops, yoga pants, and two pair of comfy socks which made the boots a bit of a struggle one goose (flew and attempted to land on my fuel shed, then they both flew into the field next to the trailer still honking up a storm.I see no signs of an attack up here, but there is only one thing on the island that can take out multiple geese. Even the eagles almost never mess With them. I’m really hoping these are last years offspring or the year priors looking for their parents, and that I will see MY geese and all their seven goslings all a little later…
I sure hope that I read on and find them to be safe. :hugs :hugs

Good news, My geese just showed up all 9. So either mom and dad saw something, stashed the babies, and were creating a distraction, or those were no my geese. I’m leaning distraction because I’ve watched them do similar stunts
Before (cattle herding away from the babies, etc)
What did you think the predator was?

Back
Top Bottom