This is what I’ve heard too. I think it would be difficult to get a “natural” solution, unless you could find oilcloth that’s been treated with a non-petroleum oil, or a real rubber mat. But old linoleum that’s pretty much done with off-gassing could work.
Rubber stall mats are a good idea.

My poor Light laid THREE eggs this morning... all together
She laid last on 8/13 morning. She did not lay on 8/14 or 8/15. I just didn't realize that her body is still producing eggs at a 1 egg per 24 hour rate even when she was not eating much 😠 . I am so disgusted by this, and I was so ignorant on getting high production hens.

This is her three egg. It looks like only two, because the middle egg is crushed in between with only shell left. I am really glad that the shell is out. But that must mean some yolk got left inside???
View attachment 3224829

Any idea on what to do? Flush vent? Any suggestion is appreciated. I also have a separate thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-laid-3-eggs-this-morning.1543878/
Second everything @RoyalChick wrote, except I don’t quite see that you can be sure she’s in the clear, so monitor her for possible infection? Others know better, but a preventive course of antibiotic? Also, some people do hormonal implants to stop ovulation and therefore egg production. An expensive proposition, and you need access to a vet that can do it.

This is what I’ve heard too. I think it would be difficult to get a “natural” solution, unless you could find oilcloth that’s been treated with a non-petroleum oil, or a real rubber mat. But old linoleum that’s pretty much done with off-gassing could work.
I read vinyl is toxic and some even treatmented with lead.
I was hoping to find a non toxic coverage that I can remove as the weather heats up. I was using the reflective silver plastic but really felt it had to go as its been there for a long time. I may have to get more of it but not sure of the toxins in it.

Thanks so much for adding your input and @RoyalChick

I am not sure what a coop liner is, but on the coop building forum here you see people who put down offcuts of vinyl flooring and others who use a very thick coat of a rubberized paint usually used to seal a roof. The brand here is Black Jack 57. Apparently lasts for forever and is completely waterproof.
I imagine the coop needs to be kept empty for a few days while it dries.
The coop has a wooden floor so breathable but during the winter it needs to be covered and removed during warmer weather. Vinyl is toxic this is why I have been trying too find linoleum, but I spoke to a lady today (when she let me get a word in) and got no where at all.

The coop has a wooden floor so breathable but during the winter it needs to be covered and removed during warmer weather. Vinyl is toxic this is why I have been trying too find linoleum, but I spoke to a lady today (when she let me get a word in) and got no where at all.
I did not know vinyl was toxic - mine is directly on the dirt so it isn't a problem I have - but in the coop build pages it seems to be very commonly used.
Reading ahead though it sounds like you have a solution.

Nice peeps here too!
Also, Jaffar has awoken! C5494CE8-13EC-4A20-BFA5-815EFBAFF4F2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom