I hate to say this but I think Lulu is dying.
She has been OK rather than great today but nothing alarming. In the last 30 mins she has really gone down hill.
I have brought her in to the cool - it is really hot out there - and have given her calcium (though I cannot feel a stuck egg).
She is breathing really fast so I am also trying to get her to take some electrolytes and sugar water.
It is too late for the vet’s iffice
This is not looking good.
Oh no! What could possibly be going on? You took her to the vet and everything! :hugs:hugs

She has been OK rather than great today but nothing alarming. In the last 30 mins she has really gone down hill.
I have brought her in to the cool - it is really hot out there - and have given her calcium (though I cannot feel a stuck egg).
She is breathing really fast so I am also trying to get her to take some electrolytes and sugar water.
😢😢😢

Oh no, this is so surreal, I can’t believe it!

What is going on here 😢😢😢

Oh please I am sending hugs, and prayers, and I am thinking the best 🥺.

😢😢😢

Oh no, this is so surreal, I can’t believe it!

What is going on here 😢😢😢

Oh please I am sending hugs, and prayers, and I am thinking the best 🥺.
Thank you. I have brought her in to my office where it is nice and cool but her breathing is not slowing down. I have checked for injuries (but I think I would have seen feathers if a hawk or fox had got to them while I wasn't there) and I have felt for an egg (nada).
Rather ghoulishly I am looking up how to submit her body for a necropsy at the state lab. I can't quite bring myself to print the submission form while she is still breathing.
I can't bear it - she is so tiny - I don't even have her in a dog cage - she is in something no bigger than a shoe-box. I do wonder if she was just too small to start laying and something went wrong in that department. Her anemia and liver wonkiness could be caused by pretty much anything.
I may not be meant to have chickens.

I've had one of the most craziest full on days for years today. Ive been stuck in a cupboard for one . My bread mix has gone insane on me and I couldn't get it dry enough too mold it into shape then to ad even more bother I dropped the ruddy lid on it :th

Tax
View attachment 3240531
Not sure I got all that🥺

But do so hope your day tomorrow is better.

Last edited:
Oh RC, this is heartbreaking! :hit I understand how upsetting and overwhelming this must be for you and I wish with every fibre of my being that Lulu pulls through, but I know how grim it must seem. Happy to chat over Zoom if you would like to.:hugs

Ramping Up

We had an odd occurance here at FBA today. I was out checking on everyone doing rounds as they say and i came upon this darling threesome of hens.

20220829_134113.jpg

Of course this led me to look for Gucci. Where was Gucci?

I found her in the nestbox of Hattie House.

20220829_134311.jpg

That means she made her way up the Hattie House ramp. But why? It was very hot out today. Why lock yourself inside?

This might be a hint. Sydney was standing in the doorway of the Hattie House coop blocking Gucci from leaving. Why was Sydney blocking the opening?

20220829_134306.jpg

I assumed Sydney wanted to lay an egg. Gucci was laying on the eggs when I found her. However it is way too soon for Gucci to be laying.

I removed Gucci by opening the nest box and lifting her out. Glynda and Lady Featherington popped on over to see her and cheerful peep-clucks were shared by all.

I cant tell how Gucci wound up there. Maybe Sydney accidentally hearded her there. Maybe she was exploring? (I can't see her going up a ramp on purpose but who knows?)

All is good here now.

Ramping Up

We had an odd occurance here at FBA today. I was out checking on everyone doing rounds as they say and i came upon this darling threesome of hens.

View attachment 3240592

Of course this led me to look for Gucci. Where was Gucci?

I found her in the nestbox of Hattie House.

View attachment 3240597

That means she made her way up the Hattie House ramp. But why? It was very hot out today. Why lock yourself inside?

This might be a hint. Sydney was standing in the doorway of the Hattie House coop blocking Gucci from leaving. Why was Sydney blocking the opening?

View attachment 3240598

I assumed Sydney wanted to lay an egg. Gucci was laying on the eggs when I found her. However it is way too soon for Gucci to be laying.

I removed Gucci by opening the nest box and lifting her out. Glynda and Lady Featherington popped on over to see her and cheerful peep-clucks were shared by all.

I cant tell how Gucci wound up there. Maybe Sydney accidentally hearded her there. Maybe she was exploring? (I can't see her going up a ramp on purpose but who knows?)

All is good here now.
I love those two hanging with Hattie!

Thank you. I have brought her in to my office where it is nice and cool but her breathing is not slowing down. I have checked for injuries (but I think I would have seen feathers if a hawk or fox had got to them while I wasn't there) and I have felt for an egg (nada).
Rather ghoulishly I am looking up how to submit her body for a necropsy at the state lab. I can't quite bring myself to print the submission form while she is still breathing.
I can't bear it - she is so tiny - I don't even have her in a dog cage - she is in something no bigger than a shoe-box. I do wonder if she was just too small to start laying and something went wrong in that department. Her anemia and liver wonkiness could be caused by pretty much anything.
I may not be meant to have chickens.
Oh RC no. This is not your fault. You have done so much for them. The chickens at the Palace are some of the luckiest chickens I know. They have had great lives. None of this is a result of your inability to care for them. You have gone above and beyond. They are all lucky to have lived with, be cared for, and be loved by you.

:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh RC no. This is not your fault. You have done so much for them. The chickens at the Palace are some of the luckiest chickens I know. They have had great lives. None of this is a result of your inability to care for them. You have gone above and beyond. They are all lucky to have lived with, be cared for, and be loved by you.

:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs
Ditto. We have had discussions about poor breeding @ different times. I suspect that more than anything. Again, NOT your fault. :hugs I'm so sorry this is happening. It is devestating I know.

Back
Top Bottom