There you are - good morning Fluffy and Henny!

CHICKIES2.JPG

Brrr that is chilly! It's -22C here (-1C back home!).

You have a Cozy Coop panel heater I think don't you? I imagine Bernie will cozy up to that, the other 2 should be find snuggling together up top.

It amazes me that chickens can fly so well at times!
Yes - I hope the panel heater will be enough for Bernie on her own. I am also hoping that the Math Majors are not in a drafty place up there. I assume they would choose to go somewhere else if it was drafty.
The main ventilation in the winter (when I close the windows) is from soffit up to roof ridge vent and of course they are right up by the roof ridge. Silly chickens!

Yup - that about covers it!
As I see it I have two options:
A) Let them do what they want, cover over the window on the people door with mylar tape so they don't try and fly through it when I close it and just accept that poor Bernie will be lonesome at night for the foreseeable future.
B) Tweak the ceiling to remove whatever route Babs found through it.
I am not sure which way to go.
Both. I’d be curious what the route was/is, and first attempts are not reason to abandon an idea (unless you weren’t crazy about it in the first place). The window is a safety issue while they are roosting up there. You could hang that gauzy inner curtain stuff which would be a visual block and lets some light through.
Am way behind and eagerly reading!

It worked!
In a hair raising feat both Math Majors pulled off emergency stops and didn't even crash into the door.
So at least that worry is gone and I know I can close the people door.
I think I am not going to try and redo the 'tent'/'ceiling' to stop them getting up to the rafters. At least for now.

It is forecast to get down to 3F (-16C) next week which is the coldest I have experienced since getting chickens, so I am very glad to be able to close the people door safely.
Good calculation by the math majors!!

We already ordered a knee scooter, should be here tomorrow. It will help a lot, but doesn’t solve the challenge of getting up and down the stairs. Especially with no bannister to hold on to.

Steps into trailer:
View attachment 3387530

I have a feeling he will draw the line at bringing a chicken into the trailer. But maybe after my post-surgery visit in a few weeks we can get me into my office building and bring one in for a little while.

In Mexico they frequently haul horses in the back of pickups instead of trailers. I had friends with two horses from Mexico and you had to make sure neither one was nearby when you opened your tailgate or they would hop right in. :eek:

I am hanging in there. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts.

Tax (they’ve grown so much since last spring!)
Ruby, Scarlett, and Dottie
View attachment 3387539
Awww those three are adorable :) Wow they sure have grown up!

How are you doing today? Are you managing ok? Just another few days to go.

IMG_20210430_093847.jpg

My three silkie gals Fluffy, Curly and Henny Penny as youngsters; and the two Silkies Roos Roxanne and Stanley who are no longer with me (fox attack).

Back
Top Bottom