Easy to make homemade ice packs: 1/2 and 1/2 water and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in ziplock bags (I double bag them just in case), it turns into a slushy mix and stays cool for a long time. Cheaper then ones you purchase also.

I hear you on the cost of meds - crazy really :( There is really no reason for the price of the Hydrocodone Bitartrate (Norco's narcotic ingredient) to be so expensive - it has been around forever :(

Can ask your Dr for Tylenol 3s instead? the Codeine in that is Codeine Sulphate and likely is far cheaper than Norco - just a thought.... I have the same issue with Tramacet (Tramadol) 10 days worth is $60.00 so I try to only take it at night when my leg spasms are the worst. If I am not working and thus not making the big bucks I use Tylenol 2s which is less than 1/3 the price of Tramadol. I find it works far better than the Tramadol for my leg spasms but it really bothers my gut :confused: so if I can afford it I use the Tramacet. FYI - make sure to drink LOTS of water and LOTS of fibre as all these meds can be extremely 'binding' (bunged up... ) :eek:

OK enough med chat :)

chit-chat tax

Sophia says Hope Your Leg Gets Fixed SOOOOON!
View attachment 3389964
Thanks for the ice pack recipe, I may try that if I can get DH to mix some up. I can’t take T3 or anything with codeine in it. Unfortunately due to drug interactions with some pain killers and being sensitive to others, my only choices are basically regular acetaminophen (Tylenol), Vicodin/Norco, or Percocet. Tylenol is useles with this pain, and insurance restricts Percocet the same way it does Vicodin/Norco.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I pray you get your surgery soon. I know there will be pain following surgery but I have to imagine it will be less once the leg is stable and bones in place. To be honest I am still in shock you have had to wait this long. A few days I could understand but are we not close to a week out from your fall?
It was one week ago today that I fell. So surgery will be 10 days after the injury. My biggest concern right now is we are supposed to have freezing rain Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. I am scared they might reschedule due to weather. 🥺

Still getting dizzy but the blood pressure is dropping and causing me to almost pass out. Calling Drs. in the morning for an appt.
View attachment 3390210
I hope you can get in to see the doctor quickly and that you feel better soon. :hugs

New Rule
This has nothing to do with anything anyone has said personally. This is just me. The term "flighty" is being thrown around a lot here lately since @RebeccaBoyd got leghorns. I find it offensive. It is a sloppy way to describe leghorns started by people who do not view them as anything other than little egg machines who frustrate their efforts to keep them confined in tiny places.

Therefore we now have a New Rule on this thread.

The use of the word "Flighty" to describe leghorns is officially banned.
I will defend the reputation of the leghorn to my last breath. It is a sorely misunderstood chicken breed. A breed where human beings have destroyed their genetics to benefit us and not the birds. A breed which is called flighty because they somehow are clever enough to escape human efforts at keeping them in captivity. A breed where the vast majority of their kind spend their entire lives in tiny cages so humans can save a dollar on eggs.

I will stand for it no more. If you wish to disparage leghorns go start your own thread. None of our many leghorns has given us any trouble outside of dying too young.

Exhibit A
View attachment 3390281

Exhibit B
View attachment 3390280

Exhibit C
View attachment 3390283

And Exhibit D, THE GREATEST HEN EVER!
View attachment 3390306

And just because, Exhibits C & D together.

View attachment 3390282
Bob I am happy to follow your rules, but I honestly don’t think anyone in this thread has called any breed flighty in a derogatory manner (and when discussing breed suggestions I have seen it used about many others besides just leghorns). To me it means more apt to fly and possibly startled more easily. Which is important for someone considering a breed to know, because it means they are more likely to get out of areas with low fencing and more likely to get into trees or on top of coops, etc.

Got it.
However, like @RebeccaBoyd I had not realized flighty had negative connotations.
I took it to mean energetic and able to fly and therefore prone to escape fencing.
Ditto

If someone called you flighty would you like it?
Not necessarily. But I also wouldn’t like it for someone to call my butt fluffy (even though it is a bit large lol). It isn’t really a fair comparison to compare using the same terminology on people as in different species. Just like it is perfectly acceptable to call a breeding female dog a “bit__”, but inappropriate to use it about a human female. I feel like you have gotten yourself all worked up about something that nobody was saying in the manner that you took it. I hope once you have time to cool off you will feel better about the situation. :hugs💜

Tax for the non-chicken related topics.
44BED281-5FF3-4FC1-81EE-D0E374B36235.jpeg

55431C42-96CA-4146-ABD3-D3BF5E0FA3ED.jpeg

978003AD-3271-45D2-AB9E-C7EB5DCADBF4.jpeg

Everyone I am crying. They are huge tears of relief though and happiness. Everyone is alive, and more importantly happy. Those are Chiquita's babies now even if they did magically appear from a store egg. She is feeding them, and teaching them to drink. She appears to be in the "hatching" stage. She is acting like my other hens do when their chicks are hatching. She is staying put, but showing them food and water and then calling them back under her. I was going to let them loose in the coop today but if she wants to stay like this for another day I will let her. It may be better to keep them in the tote. The chicks need to learn their momma's calls and less room for them to get into trouble. This is my first time fostering chicks onto a hen that were not fresh out of the egg. I hoped she would take them, but I did not know if she would.
Here are some video's, I'm sorry they are dark.
This is what greeted me when I walked into the coop.
Had to make sure everyone was alive.
Lets get back under momma
View attachment 3388882View attachment 3388883View attachment 3388884
This is so wonderful and precious. Congratulations!

It don’t know, I was berated so much that to me the word does have a negative connotation, and no one wants a crazy horse (except me the crazy horse lady!).

Like people all animals are individuals, I don’t like using such descriptions for a breed, for instance calm and gentle for silkies - meanwhile Marty is a demon! Can u see her with babies 😳!! You won be able to get anywhere near her or she will attack you!

I like to stick to facts - egg colour feather colour and patterns, weight, leg colour, toes…. You know tangible things🥰

So this is what I want: chicks who will lay dark brown eggs, speckled feathers, maybe fuzzy legs or not, wattles and a nice comb ❤️

Breed suggestions?
Sounds like a Welbar like Bernie. Only with her you have to imagine the egg part!

Thanks for the ice pack recipe, I may try that if I can get DH to mix some up. I can’t take T3 or anything with codeine in it. Unfortunately due to drug interactions with some pain killers and being sensitive to others, my only choices are basically regular acetaminophen (Tylenol), Vicodin/Norco, or Percocet. Tylenol is useles with this pain, and insurance restricts Percocet the same way it does Vicodin/Norco.

It was one week ago today that I fell. So surgery will be 10 days after the injury. My biggest concern right now is we are supposed to have freezing rain Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. I am scared they might reschedule due to weather. 🥺

I hope you can get in to see the doctor quickly and that you feel better soon. :hugs

Bob I am happy to follow your rules, but I honestly don’t think anyone in this thread has called any breed flighty in a derogatory manner (and when discussing breed suggestions I have seen it used about many others besides just leghorns). To me it means more apt to fly and possibly startled more easily. Which is important for someone considering a breed to know, because it means they are more likely to get out of areas with low fencing and more likely to get into trees or on top of coops, etc.

Ditto

Not necessarily. But I also wouldn’t like it for someone to call my butt fluffy (even though it is a bit large lol). It isn’t really a fair comparison to compare using the same terminology on people as in different species. Just like it is perfectly acceptable to call a breeding female dog a “bit__”, but inappropriate to use it about a human female. I feel like you have gotten yourself all worked up about something that nobody was saying in the manner that you took it. I hope once you have time to cool off you will feel better about the situation. :hugs💜

Tax for the non-chicken related topics.
View attachment 3390489

View attachment 3390490

View attachment 3390491
Really hoping for the best for your surgery.
I had to laugh at your fluffy butt comment. I am glad the pain hasn’t taken away your sense of humor!

Back
Top Bottom