Everything is right as rain in Chiquita's world this morning. Her and the Marshmallows are out and about in their coop. I have to help them out of their tote as they just cannot quite make it to the top of the tote to fly out after their mom yet. They are trying though and coming close. In another day or two, I will not have to let them out of the tote myself. I did not bring the camera out this morning and she let me interact with them some. It may not be me, but the camera she wants to kill. I will say it now, I am going to have fun with these chicks. We played a game this morning. I took a bun out with me. After I set out the feeder and waterer I tore a tiny piece off of the bun in my pocket. I got their attention with it and then we played chase the bun. I kept my hand low to the ground and they were glued on to it. After a round or two where if they were able to grab it I would drop it the last 2 rounds I did not release the bun until they were standing on my hand then I let it go. Chiquita was watching all this carefully but was ok as long as I did not physically try to pick one up and hold it. After chase the bun was over I kept my hand on the ground open and dropped a tiny piece in my palm. Each time I was rewarded with a marshmallow hopping in my hand to eat it and then staring at me like "where is the rest". I should note this game could not be played with Momma Hens crew at this young age. She is just now allowing me to handle them briefly as she is tucking everyone into bed at night. If they make a distressed peep, she is coming for me.

It is going to be 0F (nearly -18C) later in the week. I cannot get my mind around it being that cold. I have not experienced it myself let alone with chickens.
I won't be able to bring them in to the garage because I can't get the math majors down from the rafters. So I am going to have to just hope they do OK.
I confess I am worried.
Not only is it extreme cold but it is a sudden plunge in temperature - nights have been above freezing for days.

Everything is right as rain in Chiquita's world this morning. Her and the Marshmallows are out and about in their coop. I have to help them out of their tote as they just cannot quite make it to the top of the tote to fly out after their mom yet. They are trying though and coming close. In another day or two, I will not have to let them out of the tote myself. I did not bring the camera out this morning and she let me interact with them some. It may not be me, but the camera she wants to kill. I will say it now, I am going to have fun with these chicks. We played a game this morning. I took a bun out with me. After I set out the feeder and waterer I tore a tiny piece off of the bun in my pocket. I got their attention with it and then we played chase the bun. I kept my hand low to the ground and they were glued on to it. After a round or two where if they were able to grab it I would drop it the last 2 rounds I did not release the bun until they were standing on my hand then I let it go. Chiquita was watching all this carefully but was ok as long as I did not physically try to pick one up and hold it. After chase the bun was over I kept my hand on the ground open and dropped a tiny piece in my palm. Each time I was rewarded with a marshmallow hopping in my hand to eat it and then staring at me like "where is the rest". I should note this game could not be played with Momma Hens crew at this young age. She is just now allowing me to handle them briefly as she is tucking everyone into bed at night. If they make a distressed peep, she is coming for me.
That’s Leghorn curiosity!

When I've had chicks (no momma hen), I put a bit of their food in my palm and put my hand down on the floor of the brooder. (I get comfy, as this takes a while.) E-ven-tu-a-lllllly, one chick will come over and peck at the food. Even more eventually, the rest will try it out. Then they learn The Hand is a Good Thing and all run over to peck whatever is in it. It feels like getting tapped with a bunch of dull pencils.

With both sets of chicks I've had, the first one to try it has been the leader of that group. We'll see if that holds true with the next batch. (106 days, or so.)

It is going to be 0F (nearly -18C) later in the week. I cannot get my mind around it being that cold. I have not experienced it myself let alone with chickens.
I won't be able to bring them in to the garage because I can't get the math majors down from the rafters. So I am going to have to just hope they do OK.
I confess I am worried.
Not only is it extreme cold but it is a sudden plunge in temperature - nights have been above freezing for days.
I would be most concerned for Bernie. The Math Majors have very small combs, so not very likely to be frost-bitten, and have each other for warmth. Bernie I am a bit worried about, what with the bigger (though not large) comb and being by herself. That said, she does have the panel heater, correct?

FBCM = fluffy butt copper maran??
French Black Copper Marans. They are black with 'copper' feathers at the hackles. The 'French' BCM have feathered feet/legs. The 'BCM are clean legged.
(Think: British like to shave their ladies, - so clean legs, the French are fine 'oh natural', so don't. Non-feathered vs feathered legs.!🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Hope that stereo-typical analogy works (even if it really isn't true.)

IMG_2086[1].JPG
IMG_2088[1].JPG
IMG_2100[1].JPG

That said, mine are FBCM, but the feathering on their legs is pretty light - I suspect that they are a mix of BCM & FBCM, as the French Black Copper Marans are heavier feathered on the legs, usually.

More like this hen:

French Black Copper Marans Chicken Breeds | Cackle Hatchery®

Cackle Hatchery
French Black Copper Marans Chicken Breeds ...

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/french-black-copper-marans/

Last edited:
They just called to reschedule my surgery to tomorrow at 2 pm instead of Wednesday at 6 am. While I am happy to get it done earlier, that will have us driving home when the weather is supposed to be at its worst. 😳

Scary weather tax:

View attachment 3390770
I am really happy about the reschedule - this way it won't be canceled due to the storm! It is a much needed thing, and I would hate for it to be put off another week or two before they could squeeze you in again.:hugs:hugs:hugsIf you do go home after, instead of staying overnight, then just take the driving real slow - AND the trip from the car to the house.

Back
Top Bottom