Thing got a trim today. I'd like to trim more but she got enough to really get squirmy so I took her back outside and set her on one of the boulders. Her toes need some filing down.
View attachment 3392575She hopped down and did some exploring. Then Whiskey came over to supervise. He did a bit of herding, and stayed close. Pippa came over as did Twirp, who's now shedding breast feathers. When the shivers started, I brought Thing back to the coop to warm up. I want to do some more trimming, but it can wait another week or 2. View attachment 3392563View attachment 3392573
Thing is so dainty :) she looks so tiny next to Whiskey.

I was born a Guinea Pig (but I got better)!
18497C7C-CCF6-42D9-8B85-E5437B433F01.png

I figured out that if I do not bring out the camera Chiquita is good with me being around the chicks. Not sure I will do it today seeing as how it is only 30 degree but yesterday I was out with them for a hour. Before it was all said and done I had Chiquita digging to china dust bathing and the peeps on my lap watching their crazy mother. 3 of them finally joined her to see what she was doing and the other 3 fell asleep on me.

@Marie2020 @rural mouse @RoyalChick @RebeccaBoyd @featherhead007

And all the other enablers :)

The science behind hand warmers:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/en/video/lcoFMq1m?playlist=oLRZ3mum

Not sure if that will keep them warm or not ❤️
Interesting.
They do get hot to touch - I would say hotter than my heat plate gets (just anecdotally - I have never measured either).
The way I used them was to pop them inside a sock and put the sock under the shavings in the basket so they could choose to sit on top of the warm patch or go elsewhere.
I used a basket rather than a tightly sealed box to make sure there was enough oxygen flowing - probably just being overly cautious but I wasn't sure how much oxygen was needed for the oxidation to create rust.

Ask Aurora.

Dear Aurora,
Let me introduce myself. I am the most beautiful, most angry, and most proud little rooster in the world.
My name is Théo and I live in France in the mountains.
Here is my problem. I have four hens who should honour and worship my beautiful self. Unfortunately, I happen to be half bantam. Can you believe that those french humans have the cheeks to call us bantams "dwarves", by the way ? Anyway, my hens are bigger than me and since I live on a very steep slope, I never manage to mount and mate them properly. Because I need to maintain some balance, I must grab their feathers as I would fall otherwise, and this displease them so much that they run away from their duty to my gorgeous self.
Would you have any advice on dealing with this shameful problem ? I trust your discretion not to mention this to any of your beak book friends.
Cocorico from your beautiful Théo.
IMG_20230131_154814.jpg

Back
Top Bottom