Our other two residents came to us in April as chicks. My wife raised them until they moved outside and then they became my responsibility.

Hattie is our lavender orpington hen. She has not starting laying yet but i expect she will once the days turn longer.
View attachment 1633834

Jabberwockie, Jabber for short, was supposed to be an Easter Egger hen, however, he is clearly not a hen.
View attachment 1633836
He and Hattie are inseperable.
I play an old song from the 90s when my girls with the floofy badonkadonks strut around with me in their yard. I really think when they hear it, they know it's for them and they get floofier

She never stops searching
20230201_123130.jpg

Dear Aurora,
I am exhausted. My name is Eli and I am only a very small chicken and know I will never be top chicken (though I am working on a magnificent beard).
I am OK with that, but I need your help on how I can get a decent night's sleep. I know you have a very demanding job keeping all the other chickens in their place and I am sure you must have mastered the art of managing your own wellbeing, and I can see from your photos that you look very youthful and energetic (particularly when there are blueberries available) and therefore I believe you must be getting enough sleep.
Here is my problem. I live with two other chickens. One I have known from hatch (Babs) and one who I think follows your advice closely (Bernadette). And come bed time those two get all riled up and there is so much noise and flying back and forth that I cannot get any rest.
It takes for forever for them to settle down and we always end up in the same places anyway with me and Babs up in the rafters, and Bernie over by the heater (which looks like a very nice place by the way), so why all the fuss?
Why can't Bernie and Babs just accept that is where we will all end up and go straight there? Why does Bernie need to fly where Babs is so that Babs flies where I am and I have to fly somewhere else? And why do they have to do that over, and over, and over again? And, why do they have to make such a racket while they do it? Honestly the lungs on Babs and Bernadette is quite astonishing to me (I tend to squeak just a little).
To give you a sense of how much of a problem this is, twice now I have been forced to bed down in random places because the running around has gone on for so long that it got too dark for me to see to get up to the rafters.
I would really appreciate your advice on how to get more shut-eye. As the days get longer my issue will only get worse and I really, really need my beauty sleep - I can feel the bags around my eyes getting bigger with each passing day!
Yours,
Eli (severely sleep deprived)
View attachment 3393129
Awwwww poor Eli - I feel for you! Sleep is so important - I sure hope that Aurora can assist you with this and give you some of her wise advice!

Like last time Chiquita is not wanting to leave the coop with them just yet. I think when Goose was a baby she was not ready to venture out of the coop with her babies until they were about 8 or 9 days old. I wish all my hens were that way. Instead the rest of my girls insist they have them smack in the middle of the horse stalls as soon as they leave the nest. Well, no I take that back, Raven is different, she takes a section of the back yard near the hay pile that she dares anyone to cross into. I'm happy she is not wanting to leave the coop, Temps dropped and there is snow on the ground. In the coop it is a good 10 degree's warmer and there is no wind to chill the chicks. They have met Branch and he loves them. If he spots me walking in the direction of the coop he is now right behind me ready to go visit.
Awwww - can't wait till it warms up for you down there. I bet once they get a taste of the outdoors they will be running amok! Oh I wish I could get some babies up here hahaha!

Our other two residents came to us in April as chicks. My wife raised them until they moved outside and then they became my responsibility.

Hattie is our lavender orpington hen. She has not starting laying yet but i expect she will once the days turn longer.
View attachment 1633834

Jabberwockie, Jabber for short, was supposed to be an Easter Egger hen, however, he is clearly not a hen.
View attachment 1633836
He and Hattie are inseperable.
Aww - such beauties - I love Jabber's colouring :)

I play an old song from the 90s when my girls with the floofy badonkadonks strut around with me in their yard. I really think when they hear it, they know it's for them and they get floofier
That's awesome - I sing to my kiddos and they seem to enjoy it. My new Roo is on the fence though I think - no one has ever sang to him before!

Back
Top Bottom