Bad news at the Butler Hollow Coop. All the rain eroded the very edge inside the unfinished section of the shed. This created a chicken sized opening and a few of the pullets got out of the run at some point today. Powder, my first layer of stunning moss green eggs, is gone. The only sign of her or what happened to her is a few feathers outside the run. How could I have not noticed the hole! Sad, mad, and feeling just awful.

View attachment 3393614
Oh that's just awful. I'm so very very sorry this has happened. :hugs :hugs :hugs

One of things about chicken keeping is the realization of all the things you have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately that can result in tragedy. Remember to be kind to yourself. I say this because it has been my experience even though I am frequently unkind to myself. Don't be like BY Bob, give yourself grace.

It's all my fault! I made dumb choices and did everything wrong. I have to live with that.

At least my Tina and princess is thriving for that I'm grateful. Tina has been with me for a good time now that's wonderful considering battery girls can die overnight or up to a month. 1 year and five months so far and still bashing around like a little rhino :D
You have done wonderful with Tina. Congrats!

I did I was out there for an hour looking everywhere I could thought she could be. No sign of her anywhere. Just gone.
I'm so sorry, and I can imagine how terrible you must feel. :hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs

It seems that it's exceptional to keep chickens and not make a fatal mistake one day ....and often more than one mistake, unfortunately. Not many chickens die of old age. At some point, every chicken keeper will feel responsible for a chicken's death. I agree with By Bob, try to not be too hard on yourself 💚.

I would look again just in case before it gets dark because when they are in a panic, chickens can hide in very strange places. But I don't want to give you false hopes 😔.

Bad news at the Butler Hollow Coop. All the rain eroded the very edge inside the unfinished section of the shed. This created a chicken sized opening and a few of the pullets got out of the run at some point today. Powder, my first layer of stunning moss green eggs, is gone. The only sign of her or what happened to her is a few feathers outside the run. How could I have not noticed the hole! Sad, mad, and feeling just awful.

View attachment 3393614
Are you sure she is gone-gone? Where were the other pullets? Scared/in hiding, or nearby just hanging out/free ranging?

I have had a couple of hens surprise me - I thought they were gone, but they weren't....since she is laying, might she have gone off and found a nesting spot?

:fl :fl I'm hoping that it is only this. Try shaking whatever you use for a treat jar and calling them.:fl:fl

:hugs:hugs:hugs If she really is gone (but I'm not giving up hope yet. Remember all those 'hidden ladies' on this thread?)

For Thirsty Thursday my Princesses are taking the tiny dusting of snow off the ground.
Because I don’t give them nice water in abundance inside the Chicken Palace?!
But in good news they had to show their fluffy butts while enjoying the snow.

F08840B0-93FC-4D3C-862F-125CA13DDCB8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom