A low temperature cuddle puddle
2FE3B714-20E1-44DF-A527-4FE9727C2DC6.jpeg

Do they have an online or automated outage reporting system? I get a lot of outages here and I notice that you can indicate whether you have a medical emergency (you do) and whether you have a live downed wire on your property.
Supposedly they prioritize reports with either of those conditions.
That number of outages actually shouldn't overwhelm them - particularly as they had some warning - so I am hoping they get to you really soon!

So sorry to hear you still have no power. An I correct in assuming you have snow on the ground? I am not always sure going by the News.

If so they am I correct in assuming that your crews are not used to working in such weather, and don't have cold/extreme weather equipment or work gear. It can be extremely hazardous to work on power lines without correct gear for the weather.

For instance back home right now, it is -23C and high winds and heavy snowfall (thanks to lake effect snow), but we have equipment and gear for this sort of thing. I would bet if you had that sort of thing it would not be good for your workers.

My only advice would be to make sure you are warm. Not sure if your Husband got your genny back up and running - hope so!
Neither the automated phone line or the online system had any way to indicate special issues. I think anyone who has “permanent” medical issues is supposed to register with them so they know in advance.

Oncor is horrible. There are lots of power poles in our area that have been about to fall over for more than a year or two and they never seem to do anything until they actually break or fall. Maintenance of trees, poles, power lines, etc is ridiculous. After the past two February’s in the area they definitely should have been more prepared but weren’t. The number of total outages may not seem like much compared to total customers. But they don’t have the resources to deal with even that many at a time.

We had ice still on the ground and coating everything until early yesterday, but have been above freezing most of the time since then. Some areas still had bad roads but most were passable. So they should have made a lot more progress yesterday than they did.

The generator had tripped again when I woke up at 7:30 am. He got it going again and we have managed to limp it along since then by adapting plugs to run the trailer on the 30amp circuit. Just means we can’t have our supplemental heaters/etc going or it draws too much power. Replacement breaker shows to be in transit for delivery today.

So far we know our Keurig and electric kettle got fried, possibly some other things as well, when the breaker malfunctioned the first time and pumped 220v into the system instead of 110v. We are lucky it didn’t destroy a lot more. Would love to make them pay to replace things but no way to prove the generator was at fault.

Electrical whining tax:
71A866CD-AED0-4309-B4D4-31ACE5CC55CA.jpeg

Both battle it out. I could get up to go but oh what a production it was, especially early on before you somewhat get used to moving around on one leg.

I am well. My daughter (6yrs) took it better then expected, Powder was her favorite. She said she was glad we got chickens, I said are you sure since it can be sad sometimes. She paused and thought, her reply was yes I am sure, we had lots of good times too. So proud of her.

I am okay, I’ll feel guilty forever most likely but we are fixing it as I type this. Still no sign of her at all. I am pretty certain at this point something took her, probably an bird of prey.
You're raising a wonderful daughter.

Neither the automated phone line or the online system had any way to indicate special issues. I think anyone who has “permanent” medical issues is supposed to register with them so they know in advance.

Oncor is horrible. There are lots of power poles in our area that have been about to fall over for more than a year or two and they never seem to do anything until they actually break or fall. Maintenance of trees, poles, power lines, etc is ridiculous. After the past two February’s in the area they definitely should have been more prepared but weren’t. The number of total outages may not seem like much compared to total customers. But they don’t have the resources to deal with even that many at a time.

We had ice still on the ground and coating everything until early yesterday, but have been above freezing most of the time since then. Some areas still had bad roads but most were passable. So they should have made a lot more progress yesterday than they did.

The generator had tripped again when I woke up at 7:30 am. He got it going again and we have managed to limp it along since then by adapting plugs to run the trailer on the 30amp circuit. Just means we can’t have our supplemental heaters/etc going or it draws too much power. Replacement breaker shows to be in transit for delivery today.

So far we know our Keurig and electric kettle got fried, possibly some other things as well, when the breaker malfunctioned the first time and pumped 220v into the system instead of 110v. We are lucky it didn’t destroy a lot more. Would love to make them pay to replace things but no way to prove the generator was at fault.

Electrical whining tax:
View attachment 3394519
The :love is for the beautiful chicken.
Just lots of :hugs:hugs for you.

The Princesses are locked into the coop (I hope they don't squabble too much). Judging by how they fell on the plate of mash I put in there, it seems that whoever was looking after them has not fed them in weeks.
For sure their little bellies and crops will be stuffed tonight.
They have liquid water, the oil filled radiator is on in the servant's quarters and the thermostats in the house are mostly turned up.
I have to go out for several hours this evening so when I get back I will move the heater closer to the chickens and will move up the remaining house thermostats.
The cats are all snoring close to the radiators in the house and I realize that as well as socks I should have put on a scarf (the tip of my nose is numb!).

Both battle it out. I could get up to go but oh what a production it was, especially early on before you somewhat get used to moving around on one leg.

I am well. My daughter (6yrs) took it better then expected, Powder was her favorite. She said she was glad we got chickens, I said are you sure since it can be sad sometimes. She paused and thought, her reply was yes I am sure, we had lots of good times too. So proud of her.

I am okay, I’ll feel guilty forever most likely but we are fixing it as I type this. Still no sign of her at all. I am pretty certain at this point something took her, probably an bird of prey.
I am so sorry, I know loss too and how difficult it is. :hugs
Are you sure it’s not a fox or coyote? Most raptors will kill and eat what they can right there, even a large bird of prey has difficulty carrying off a chicken. Only sign being a few feathers suggests a ground predator - a fox, coyote, fisher, or maybe a mink. So guard against diggers, it will be back and could try to dig, if that’s what it was.

I just love that she can eat and yell at the same time! :gig:lau:gig:lau
Oh that wasn’t eating… that was complaining about lack of food and tossing the useless alfalfa pellets around! Plenty of chicken friendly food in the feeder in the chicken trailer, if she would stick to her own dishes! I’m betting she will have at least one batch of chicks this year…

Back
Top Bottom