This is maddening! It’s bad enough that chickens are treated so poorly for food. The thought that they are exploited for profit on the Nasdaq makes me insane.
😡😤😡😤😡
Ya it's ridiculous! I feel that they should make caged birds illegal, and have open housing units for the hens. I don't like this idea of having tens of thousands of birds on one factory farm.

That is just ridiculous, and asking for trouble.

Tax...

Almost time for bed
eggs.JPG

I don’t know how I would deal with that sort of cold. It’s actually almost scary to me.
Scary to me too hahaha and I live it all the time!

Cold is very fatiguing, triple the work for everything in the winter.

Brrrr Tax

Fluffy killing her snake :) she was only about 7 months old there!
DSCN0303.JPG

And sorry my first reaction was so harsh. It makes me mad that eggs are a commodity with no regard whatsoever for the living beings who lay them.

It’s still an interesting article and I wonder if hens in Canada have any better living conditions than here in the U.S.
Likely not - other than there isn't the huge factory farms like in the US, but they are plenty big enough.

Need to have an overhaul of farm practices.

Digging makes one thirsty. They have learned though that it is not proper etiquette to drink out of a water bowl until one has filled it full of dirt or sawdust. Fresh clean water and a dish could be poison, dirt neutralizes any potential toxins. The same rule can apply to their feeder. When in doubt, scoop it onto the ground and throw a little dirt into the holes.
There are many lessons to learn in life about being a chicken in general. Momma Chiquita is covering all her bases.
Definitely need to get some chicks :)

Ya it's ridiculous! I feel that they should make caged birds illegal, and have open housing units for the hens. I don't like this idea of having tens of thousands of birds on one factory farm.

Tax...

Almost time for bed
View attachment 3395711
I am sure that I will never find it again but I read a legit article about how 'cage free' was actually worse for hen welfare than cages.
Cage free sounds like they are outside - but actually they are just all stuffed in a huge concrete floored barn so they are very over-crowded and cannot escape the pecking from their neighbors.
Equally 'free range' is a misleading label because that means that there are openings in the big concrete-floored barn so that the chickens nearest the opening can get outside for a few hours - but there are so many chickens in the barn that very few of them ever make it to the opening.
The only reliable label is 'Certified Humane' because that is independently verified by an organization who focuses on hen welfare.
I think it was National Geographic where I read it.

Haven't found the original article but came across this on free range:
https://www.greenerchoices.org/free...n and eggs labeled “free,of 120 days per year.

Tax...

Almost time for bed
View attachment 3395711
Yah! And all those poor crowded birds in one place, with no widescreen TV :old :mad:

Back
Top Bottom