Did you get them at a TSC location, or order through their website and then call Hoovers to get them vaccinated? Everything I have read and the TSC employees I have talked to all say that the chicks in the stores have no vaccinations of any kind. But if you order and then contact Hoovers you can request they be vaccinated for Marek’s and/or coccidiosis. That is what I did, mine are vaccinated for both.

You should be able to order antibiotics through a few websites, some without a prescription. I have links somewhere that I found posted various places and saved to order some when needed. Will try to post them later.
I don't order them through TSC, I have gotten ones who had grown flight feathers and were flying and setting off the alarms at night...so was offered them at a discount to just take them. I have been told by TSC that they are vaccinated for Mareks, that all come from Hoover, and that they never know what the store will get until they show up.

?Maybe it is a state thing? IDK? Who knows maybe they were 'blowing smoke up my you know what" I get along well with them - so they definitely believe that they are vaccinated, otherwise they would have told me they weren't.

@Ponypoor, the chicken eggs are pipping!!
Well, there were pips at 4pm last night!!

I am sure a few have hatched by now! 14 of the 15 eggs were fertile, so hopefully my instructor gets a dozen or maybe 14 to hatch, if they are fully developed.
I will have pictures when they hatch. In a few months I'm gonna give her Willow eggs to hatch. I think Willow is done laying for the rest of the week, poor baby!
That is so eggciting!!! Can’t wait to see photos! ❤️ I will check in later!

————-

Ok all I need to get cracking here, my barn pump seems to have failed, it’s making an awesome grinding noise - great…

My uncle will come up and swap out the pump, then hopefully I will have water in the barn again, then, I can bring the horses home! And stop carrying water from the house for the chickens 😊

Ask Aurora

This week’s question comes from @RoyalChick Eli

Screenshot Eli.jpg

Dear Aurora,
I know your scribe is busy on other duties, but maybe you could give this your attention when you get a chance. My hooman explained that the scribe was unavailable because of a thing called ‘werk’. I wasn’t really listening, but she explained it was something to do with being able to keep you all supplied with meal worms, so it sounded important.

Anyway, the topic I want to raise with you is very important to me and I believe also to the chicken world in general.

Before I explain more, let me remind you about myself. I am a small chicken and definitely not the leader of the pack. I am fine with that and I spend most of my time on my two main passions which are cultivating my beard and whiskers, and EATING. I should say I also enjoy flying but that is not really a hobby, it is just who I am (and no, I don’t expect I will grow out of it as RC hopes).
It is about my second passion that I am writing and a dilemma I have concerning BROCCOLI.

My hooman says it is good for me ‘that’ll put hair on your chest feathers on your beard’. In general I trust her menu recommendations - I particularly like the dried up cat food (made from venison she says), and the sunflower seeds she hides under her jacket are simply the best things on earth - but in this case I am not so sure. Bernadette, who is the boss hen here, says not to touch it.

I mean I quite like how it looks and smells. I even think I remember it from childhood. But if Bernie says no, does that mean I can’t even try it?

This is really messing with my head. I mean food is my thing. What am I to do here?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Yours, perpetually in search of a snack,
Eli

Dear Eli,

So you are one of Bernadette’s minions. Good for her. I see she took my advice and ascended to the lofty status she rightly deserved. If only the rest of the world would listen to me and honor “The Way of the Chicken” there would be fewer problems.

I also see you recognize that she is your better. That is good. Follow “The Way” and your life will be happy and fulfilled.

Broccoli. I have to say I can’t stand the stuff. No one here likes it. Give us some brussels sprouts or a cabbage any day. Hattie loves the lettuce. We really do like vegetables here.

But Broccoli………….Blech.

Put us all in the same category as that former president George Herbert Walker Bush. No thank you.

Hmmmmmm………..President Aurora………………

20230311200816.jpg

The entire world would be a better place if I was in charge. I could solve that Ukraine situation quickly………………………

Sorry, drifted off there.

President Bush said, "I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid. And my mother made me eat it. Now I'm president of the United States. And I'm not gonna eat any more broccoli!" Remember when you are President or Queen of your tribe, you do not have to eat broccoli if you do not want.

Now I understand your dilemma. You want to follow “The Way” and be a good minion for Bernadette. Bernadette is your better and you should follow her lead. But then there is another potion of “The Way” which covers food.

Have you ever noticed that when treats are provided or something cool is located there are no rules as to who gets the food. It is a scrum, a free-for-all. I’m sure you have seen a hen at the bottom of the pecking order running off with something cool to eat and other hens chasing after her. We lead hens try our best to remind you of your place but there are times when even Phyllis or Betty steal food from me. Heck Lady Featherington stole the best part of a piece of sushi the other day. Did I beat her up over it? No, I did not. No grudges are held. Winner Takes All is “The Way of the Chicken.” If you can grab it and eat it before someone else can take it from you, you win.

So now we have a conundrum. It seems that two pieces of "The Way" are in contradiction. Actually, they are not. Finders’ Keepers supersedes obeying your betters. When there is food to be eaten, there are no rules other than Darwin’s, Survival of the Fittest

Your problem is that your lead hen is new to the business. Therefore, she wants to control everything you do. To her if she allows you any leeway her rule is threatened. This is common in new rulers who have not had the ability to learn from another Queen how to lead others prior to ascending the throne.

You have two choices.
  1. You can wait for Bernadette to feel more comfortable in her rule and she lets up. The downside to this is that it could be years and you love food. This could be awfully hard.
  2. You can invoke Winner Takes All and eat what you want. You may get a peck over this but it does have 2 benefits, you can eat broccoli if you want and it will speed up the process of Bernadette learning that you eating some disgusting broccoli is actually not a threat to her rule.
To me it is your duty to Bernadette and all other chickens who will be a part of your tribe to choose option 2. A good minion can help a leader by reminding her of “the Way” from time to time. It is your responsibility to help her to be a better leader. If that means you get pecked for your trouble that a price you must pay for the good of all.

Therefore, I am challenging you to fulfill your purpose within “The Way of the Chicken” and eat some gross disgusting broccoli. You be your best self and go eat whatever you want and don’t let Bernadette tell you any different.

As for will broccoli put feathers in your beard? I have covered that before. Human servants will say that anything their children won’t eat that is “good for them” will put hair on their chest, give you curly hair, etc. Your human servant is just treating you like a child. She thinks that broccoli is good for you. If you want more beard feathers eat spicy food. If you want to eat broccoli, eat broccoli. If you are like those of us here at FBA and don’t like broccoli, then don’t eat it.

Aurora

20220501080117.jpg

P.S. I have been thinking some more on Broccoli.

You know the only thing that Broccoli was good for is James Bond.

Hmmmmm………….James Bond………………..

Aurora…………Queen Aurora

20230311201959.jpg
20230311202246.jpg

Last edited:
Well I managed to feed the chooks, I just need to get some water for them. Ive been sick since friday and we havent been able to figure out why. I sat at the ER last night for 4 hours then left because it was taking to long. I get waves of nausea and throw up and my stomach and sides hurt. I gave blood and urine at the drs. office and the er. Im still waiting for results. I have a neurologist appt tomorrow I need to go to I hope I feel ok. I dont feel like the flu or anything like that, I just keep throwing up. Ive only eaten 4 times since friday and lost weight. I have baby chicks hatching soon so this is a bad time to be sick.

Ask Aurora

View attachment 3432344

Dear Aurora,
I know your scribe is busy on other duties, but maybe you could give this your attention when you get a chance. My hooman explained that the scribe was unavailable because of a thing called ‘werk’. I wasn’t really listening, but she explained it was something to do with being able to keep you all supplied with meal worms, so it sounded important.

Anyway, the topic I want to raise with you is very important to me and I believe also to the chicken world in general.

Before I explain more, let me remind you about myself. I am a small chicken and definitely not the leader of the pack. I am fine with that and I spend most of my time on my two main passions which are cultivating my beard and whiskers, and EATING. I should say I also enjoy flying but that is not really a hobby, it is just who I am (and no, I don’t expect I will grow out of it as RC hopes).
It is about my second passion that I am writing and a dilemma I have concerning BROCCOLI.

My hooman says it is good for me ‘that’ll put hair on your chest feathers on your beard’. In general I trust her menu recommendations - I particularly like the dried up cat food (made from venison she says), and the sunflower seeds she hides under her jacket are simply the best things on earth - but in this case I am not so sure. Bernadette, who is the boss hen here, says not to touch it.

I mean I quite like how it looks and smells. I even think I remember it from childhood. But if Bernie says no, does that mean I can’t even try it?

This is really messing with my head. I mean food is my thing. What am I to do here?

Eli

Dear Eli,

So you are one of Bernadette’s minions. Good for her. I see she took my advice and ascended to the lofty status she rightly deserved. If only the rest of the world would listen to me and honor “The Way of the Chicken” there would be fewer problems.

I also see you recognize that she is your better. That is good. Follow “The Way” and your life will be happy and fulfilled.

Broccoli. I have to say I can’t stand the stuff. No one here likes it. Give us some brussels sprouts or a cabbage any day. Hattie loves the lettuce. We really do like vegetables here.

But Broccoli………….Blech.

Put us all in the same category as that former president George Herbert Walker Bush. No thank you.

View attachment 3432341

The entire world would be a better place if I was in charge. I could solve that Ukraine situation quickly………………………

President Bush said, "I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid. And my mother made me eat it. Now I'm president of the United States. And I'm not gonna eat any more broccoli!" Remember when you are President or Queen of your tribe, you do not have to eat broccoli if you do not want.

Now I understand your dilemma. You want to follow “The Way” and be a good minion for Bernadette. Bernadette is your better and you should follow her lead. But then there is another potion of “The Way” which covers food.

Have you ever noticed that when treats are provided or something cool is located there are no rules as to who gets the food. It is a scrum, a free-for-all. I’m sure you have seen a hen at the bottom of the pecking order running off with something cool to eat and other hens chasing after her. We lead hens try our best to remind you of your place but there are times when even Phyllis or Betty steal food from me. Heck Lady Featherington stole the best part of a piece of sushi the other day. Did I beat her up over it? No, I did not. No grudges are held. Winner Takes All is “The Way of the Chicken.” If you can grab it and eat it before someone else can take it from you, you win.

So now we have a conundrum. It seems that two pieces of "The Way" are in contradiction. Actually, they are not. Finders’ Keepers supersedes obeying your betters. When there is food to be eaten, there are no rules other than Darwin’s, Survival of the Fittest

Your problem is that your lead hen is new to the business. Therefore, she wants to control everything you do. To her if she allows you any leeway her rule is threatened. This is common in new rulers who have not had the ability to learn from another Queen how to lead others prior to ascending the throne.

You have two choices.
  1. You can wait for Bernadette to feel more comfortable in her rule and she lets up. The downside to this is that it could be years and you love food. This could be awfully hard.
  2. You can invoke Winner Takes All and eat what you want. You may get a peck over this but it does have 2 benefits, you can eat broccoli if you want and it will speed up the process of Bernadette learning that you eating some disgusting broccoli is actually not a threat to her rule.
To me it is your duty to Bernadette and all other chickens who will be a part of your tribe to choose option 2. A good minion can help a leader by reminding her of “the Way” from time to time. It is your responsibility to help her to be a better leader. If that means you get pecked for your trouble that a price you must pay for the good of all.

Therefore, I am challenging you to fulfill your purpose within “The Way of the Chicken” and eat some gross disgusting broccoli. You be your best self and go eat whatever you want and don’t let Bernadette tell you any different.

As for will broccoli put feathers in your beard? I have covered that before. Human servants will say that anything their children won’t eat that is “good for them” will put hair on their chest, give you curly hair, etc. Your human servant is just treating you like a child. She thinks that broccoli is good for you. If you want more beard feathers eat spicy food. If you want to eat broccoli, eat broccoli. If you are like those of us here at FBA and don’t like broccoli, then don’t eat it.

Aurora

View attachment 3432340

Aurora…………Queen Aurora

View attachment 3432342View attachment 3432343
:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig:gig

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - best one yet IMHO!

"Hello, I am Bond, Aurora Bond, hen 007"

Marty egg is in hand.... :)

@RebeccaBoyd - Marty graced me with an egg today, I am putting in storage for a few days to see if anyone wants to go broody. The place where I am keeping my horses is currently hatching out chicks, so maybe I will see if they have room for an egg of 2 if my gals are not going to go broody.

I am just waiting on Sophia to lay her egg, she is in the nest box.... :)

--------

Edit: Sophia egg is in hand! :love

Marty egg is in hand.... :)

@RebeccaBoyd - Marty graced me with an egg today, I am putting in storage for a few days to see if anyone wants to go broody. The place where I am keeping my horses is currently hatching out chicks, so maybe I will see if they have room for an egg of 2 if my gals are not going to go broody.

I am just waiting on Sophia to lay her egg, she is in the nest box.... :)

--------

Edit: Sophia egg is in hand! :love
I also have a Curly egg :) that's 3...

So if someone (preferably a couple) will oblige me and go broody I will set these 3 on the 25th, they should hatch same day as I am getting my chicks I ordered.

Of course I can always get more Marty and Sophia eggs to hatch....

Eggs can keep up to 10 days correct? Hey do I store them pointy end up?

Ask Aurora

View attachment 3432344

Dear Aurora,

Eli

Dear Eli,

But Broccoli………….Blech.

View attachment 3432341

You have two choices.

Aurora

View attachment 3432340

Aurora…………Queen Aurora

View attachment 3432342View attachment 3432343
Eli is very appreciative of Aurora’s advice, and has asked for a spicy sauce to be served with her broccoli!
She also said that she plans to vote for Aurora for President (but that I am not to tell Bernadette about that for fear of reprisals).
:lau

Back
Top Bottom