The shine will come after about their 4th juvenile molt. Roughly 4 months or so of age. I do not know what is is about those first few sets of black feathers but they are dull. I wonder if it has something to do as a defensive camouflage method. As a small chick I guess you do not want to be all shiny for a hawk to spot. They are 5 to 6 weeks old now correct? I am very happy to report that I am not spotting any copper feathering at all on Tassels back. Your breeder knew his stuff on correctly guessing her as a pullet.
Well that is fascinating. I knew you would know the answer - thanks for explaining. You are exactly right both of them have black feathers that are dull. Not even shiny black let alone green!
Yes, they are just over six weeks old. And yes, I am glad he knew what he was about.

Tax for lots of shadecloth talk:

My BLACK:rolleyes: Jersey Giant. He is quite large, but still light in weight (he is 9 mos. old - lanky teen feel!) He is a very good boy with the ladies - I'm so glad I chose him as a 'keeper'
View attachment 3524753

So, not the best picture of her, but she kept moving on me. She is almost 2, and an EE. She has always struck me as stunning, and I have been toying with naming her 'Tuxie'. Again, the photo doesn't do her justice, but she is black with a lot of white in her hackles, and it always makes me thing of the female version of a tuxedo...so I was thinking Tuxie or Tuckie' Is this too corny?
View attachment 3524756

This is Mr. Jersey Giants 's second in command, a Cuckoo Marans boy. He isn't as gentle with the girls, but he is a fierce defender and really good look-out

View attachment 3524759
Beauties all, and I like Tuxie 💕 great name.

Why have we not seen these before
Behind the spoiler so as not to mess with previous post
Put them back after the modeling picsView attachment 3524646

View attachment 3524647Half-brahma baby, feathered feet

View attachment 3524648Little yellow, was told hatched from my eggs, no idea yet on parentage.

View attachment 3524649Jessica's egg. Not sure yet on daddy, but looks like will be mostly golden wyandotte colors

View attachment 3524650Clean legs, otherwise looks like Brahma X, or hamburg. Will see as growth occurs.

View attachment 3524652Fluffy yellow, from MIL'S eggs, has muffs, so Pippa and Maizie's half sib.

View attachment 3524651Again from my eggs. Straight comb, otherwise not a clue...yet.
Oh my gosh! They are so cute, oh how I wish I had my Brahma ❤️ Next year I will get them again.

Well that is fascinating. I knew you would know the answer - thanks for explaining. You are exactly right both of them have black feathers that are dull. Not even shiny black let alone green!
Yes, they are just over six weeks old. And yes, I am glad he knew what he was about.
I must check Rico and Tippy tomorrow. See if they shimmer.

“What?” :idunno IMG_3163.jpeg

Tax for lots of shadecloth talk:

My BLACK:rolleyes: Jersey Giant. He is quite large, but still light in weight (he is 9 mos. old - lanky teen feel!) He is a very good boy with the ladies - I'm so glad I chose him as a 'keeper'
View attachment 3524753

So, not the best picture of her, but she kept moving on me. She is almost 2, and an EE. She has always struck me as stunning, and I have been toying with naming her 'Tuxie'. Again, the photo doesn't do her justice, but she is black with a lot of white in her hackles, and it always makes me thing of the female version of a tuxedo...so I was thinking Tuxie or Tuckie' Is this too corny?
View attachment 3524756

This is Mr. Jersey Giants 's second in command, a Cuckoo Marans boy. He isn't as gentle with the girls, but he is a fierce defender and really good look-out

View attachment 3524759
Not corny at all, I like Tuxie. Or even go the full version, Tuxedo, or Tuxedee, Tuxidee...

What is that??

Well I went and placed the fan up in the Hen House on a ledge to be safe from chooks, seems everyone, except Blanche, is very suspicious of it!

If you want to get chooks to sit at a different location just install a new fan!
It’s still over 80F in the hen house 😟 still 81F outside (27C), and now the humidity is building.

Poor kiddos are so warm, tomorrow I am going to finish the Summer House for them, get them all roosting in there at night. More space for them to spread out, and I can put the real big fan in there!

The Tweens are roosting on the lower step of the stairs it’s too warm in the nest box, mamas and babies should be ok they can dig down to the bricks and cool if they wish.

I also have a fan on the school chicks in my office which is very warm.

And of course the horses have their fans, and I even left Truly’s stall door open with just the stall guard in place for more air circulation.

It’s too hot too fast 😟 I love the heat but it's hard on the animals with such a change.

Here is Young Miss Tassels. @RebeccaBoyd - see, she really does have feathered feet. To be honest they alarm me now and then because I think her leg is all swollen and then I realize it is just feathers. It looks like she is getting some fluffy muffs coming in. Or maybe that is just chick fluff making its way out.
She is noticably bigger than the other four. I suspect she will grow up to be a big gal.
View attachment 3524700View attachment 3524701

Of course Piglet noticed there was a photo shoot in progress and demanded in on the action.
She is such a ham!

View attachment 3524702
View attachment 3524703
Love that last photo POW worthy 💖

Or install babies in the brooder box that's been in the coop for a week....
I would but the Tweens are hiding out there in the mornings before I let the chickens out. I have to do horses first and get them out, but the chickens all pitch a fit until I let them out!

I have noted the tweens go and hide behind the mesh so the big kids don't beat the stuffing out of them 😆

Smart tweens!

It’s still over 80F in the hen house 😟 still 81F outside (27C), and now the humidity is building.

Poor kiddos are so warm, tomorrow I am going to finish the Summer House for them, get them all roosting in there at night. More space for them to spread out, and I can put the real big fan in there!

The Tweens are roosting on the lower step of the stairs it’s too warm in the nest box, mamas and babies should be ok they can dig down to the bricks and cool if they wish.

I also have a fan on the school chicks in my office which is very warm.

And of course the horses have their fans, and I even left Truly’s stall door open with just the stall guard in place for more air circulation.

It’s too hot too fast 😟 I love the heat but it's hard on the animals with such a change.

Love that last photo POW worthy 💖
You wanted some heat because it was so cold and wet there. Do you want me to drive back up there and remove the hot weather? I could bring it back down to Florida (they are used to having heat like that! ) :idunno

Back
Top Bottom