I had a Bishops Conference meeting tonight, but I can’t attend it. My rooster is not feeling very good this afternoon. I pulled him away from his ladies to rest and eat. He’s inside now with me. Problem is, he’s an older roo, and he’s trying to keep up with those hens that are less than two years old. It wears him down. No sooner did I bring him in, he laid down and closed his eyes. I knew that he was tired 🥱. When he feels like eating something, I made baked ziti with broccoli for dinner for both of us.

The Spuds went right up on to the platform after filling up for the night and have been quietly resting, no scuffling around. Gentle peeps only!
Picture with the "night sight" on.
Happy pullets
PXL_20230922_005537859.NIGHT.jpg

I'm dreading introducing them to roosting in the coop. Hoping that they'll find they can roost near or behind Butters, that she'll let them close enough. She doesn't chase at all, or peck them away very much. Hazel is a little stern with them. But Popcorn actively hunts them.

The Spuds went right up on to the platform after filling up for the night and have been quietly resting, no scuffling around. Gentle peeps only!
Happy pullets
View attachment 3641737
I'm dreading introducing them to roosting in the coop. Hoping that they'll find they can roost near or behind Butters, that she'll let them close enough. She doesn't chase at all, or peck them away very much. Hazel is a little stern with them. But Popcorn actively hunts them.
I love the Spuds!
:love

I love the Spuds!
:love
I do too!

I can not tell them apart very well yet, except by behaviour. Two are very calm, fearless / bold and trusting, and easily held in my palm, and are a little darker in coloring. The third is lighter in color, has been slower in growing and is later in realizing how to do something, or is more afraid of doing it, and always been a bit antsy, and not liked how it feels to have her feet hanging when I pick her up in my hand. I place my hand under them and wait, and then lift them very slowly, so that their feet can get used to hanging, and put my other hand against their side, not over their back, but still she doesn't like it and wants to be standing on her own! Once she is freestanding on my wrist or hand she's fine. I haven't mastered getting anyone to step back onto something but if I could I would pick her up that way instead.

I have names in mind, but I'm waiting to see if the names will still fit and waiting for me to be able to really tell them apart.

Happy pullets
View attachment 3641737
The first days of integration are always the hardest. These little darlings will make it. You may just have to close your eyes occasionally. :hugs :hugs

Thank you for voting. I second RC, it is nice to see you on here. I miss hearing about your chooks and the interesting dynamics you have - much more peaceful with your diverse flock than many of us experience! (I know I could hop onto your thread, but I am already drowning and struggling to stay afloat with just this one!)

Hope all is well...and I certainly wouldn't protest if you slipped a few pictures of your girls in your next post!;)

I haven't been on BYC much @ all. I have had a lot going on, not all of it pleasant.
My flock is down to 9. All the Vorwerks are gone. Can't say I'm sorry about that. They were a lot of trouble for not much positive. My only blue layer seems to have quit entirely. She laid 2 pigeon sized eggs @ the end of her moult but nothing since. The majority of my flock are now bantams & as soon as the weather warmed up just a little we got this...
20230918_090706.jpg

Ceres, Chavi & Titania sharing 1 fake egg. 🙄 I have so many broodies I have been considering putting eggs under them but it is so early in our season I don't think my supplier will be ready yet.

Ha'penny is up to her usual tricks & laying all over the yard.
The flock is super peaceful @ present but they do have a whole 1/2 acre all to themselves.​
20230814_084436.jpg

I haven't been on BYC much @ all. I have had a lot going on, not all of it pleasant.
My flock is down to 9. All the Vorwerks are gone. Can't say I'm sorry about that. They were a lot of trouble for not much positive. My only blue layer seems to have quit entirely. She laid 2 pigeon sized eggs @ the end of her moult but nothing since. The majority of my flock are now bantams & as soon as the weather warmed up just a little we got this...
View attachment 3641787
Ceres, Chavi & Titania sharing 1 fake egg. 🙄 I have so many broodies I have been considering putting eggs under them but it is so early in our season I don't think my supplier will be ready yet.

Ha'penny is up to her usual tricks & laying all over the yard.
The flock is super peaceful @ present but they do have a whole 1/2 acre all to themselves.​
View attachment 3641788
So wonderful to see them all again. Your hens are certainly consistent that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom