Well, they are of silkie lineage so what do you expect? As long as you have silkies or game hens incubators are not needed.
Hubby says that in a few years we'll let them raise babies. We'll decide then whether to get hatching eggs or buy chicks. He says the brooder was fine but if a hen can raise them that seems better.

Sorry to bore everyone, but somehow for me this continues to be magical.
My five layers all gifted me an egg today. From back left: Bernie, Babs, Pooh, Piglet, and Tassels.
No contributions yet from Sylvie or Calypso. I looked up my records and Bernadette hatched on Feb 3, 2022 and laid her first egg on Feb 24, 2023. So a year minus 3 weeks.
If Calypso is trying to beat that record she will have to hold out until the last week of March (she hatched April 17th, 2023)
IMG_4979.jpeg

My five layers all gifted me an egg today. From back left: Bernie, Babs, Pooh, Piglet, and Tassels.
No contributions yet from Sylvie or Calypso. I looked up my records and Bernadette hatched on Feb 3, 2022 and laid her first egg on Feb 24, 2023. So a year minus 3 weeks.
If Calypso is trying to beat that record she will have to hold out until the last week of March (she hatched April 17th, 2023)
View attachment 3750522
5 from 5 is a magic day!

View attachment 3750522
Not boring at all. Eggs are why most of us decided to keep chickens to begin with after all. It’s still amazing to me too and I think it always will be.

My crew is cranking up production too. I have been skipping collection days because they really were not laying much but I went out today to collect them and found 16 eggs in 2 days time. 😱.

I will need to start collecting again everyday!

Thieves!
I have been sharing cracked corn with the ladies from time to time. There was a small cut on the side of the bag down near the bottom. Sydney found it and used it to help herself. I thought it was cute.

I forgot to bring the bag in with me this morning. This is what I found at lunch time. The cut was now over 2 inches long.

View attachment 3746622

It is going to snow tonight. They will not be eating their ill gotten gains for a little while.
I figured out what was going on here. Much like eating all the marshmallows out of a box of lucky charms, they were only eating the purple corn and leaving the yellow corn on the ground.

Spoiled ladies they are. :barnie

@MaryJanet

I figured out what was going on here. Much like eating all the marshmallows out of a box of lucky charms, they were only eating the purple corn and leaving the yellow corn on the ground.

Spoiled ladies they are. :barnie

@MaryJanet
Mmm. Stop tempting me, Bob! I may have to convince Mom to get a box of them. I would always eat most of the cereal then eat a small amount of it with mostly marshmallow on the spoon.

Yes, I'm crazy.

Back
Top Bottom