Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
So apparently from my last post, everyone is telling me that one of my hens has turned out to be a rooster. I don't want to give him away but I do want to separate him? My question is, what age is a good age to separate him? How do I prevent him from turning mean leter on and if I build him his own cage, should I let him have eye contact with my hens or do you think that could possibly make him aggressive? I'm actually real nervous because my the family didn't want me to ever get a rooster and so I've never got one until now apparently. What are the best tips for someone who's never had a rooster to help him as he grows into a roo if he is for sure a roo?

So apparently from my last post, everyone is telling me that one of my hens has turned out to be a rooster. I don't want to give him away but I do want to separate him? My question is, what age is a good age to separate him? How do I prevent him from turning mean leter on and if I build him his own cage, should I let him have eye contact with my hens or do you think that could possibly make him aggressive? I'm actually real nervous because my the family didn't want me to ever get a rooster and so I've never got one until now apparently. What are the best tips for someone who's never had a rooster to help him as he grows into a roo if he is for sure a roo?

After 7-8th week their hormones kick and they start to show dominant behavior I separate my rooster at the same age but let them see everyone so they won't feel lonely

Why do you want to separate him? Chickens are flock animals...keeping one separate is cruel to the bird. What are you worried about keeping him with the hens? Roosters are for the most part a lot of fun to have in the flock...they are beautiful, entertaining, protective...if you are able to keep one where you live it would do no harm to keep him in your flock.

Why do you want to separate him? Chickens are flock animals...keeping one separate is cruel to the bird. What are you worried about keeping him with the hens? Roosters are for the most part a lot of fun to have in the flock...they are beautiful, entertaining, protective...if you are able to keep one where you live it would do no harm to keep him in your flock.
It would be cruel for me to put him with all the ladies and watch them get beat up.

What do you mean, "beat up?" Most roosters breed their hens very quickly and do them little, if any, harm. They do a little dance around the hen to see if she is ready. If she is, she squats, he mounts her, and in two or three seconds he is done. He jumps off and walks away, she fluffs her feathers back in place and goes about her business. If she is NOT ready, she simply walks away from him and he leaves her alone. Nature is not brutal. Leave the rooster with his flock. He will protect them, comfort them, find them food goodies, alert them to danger, and keep them close together. They will appreciate him.

What do you mean, "beat up?" Most roosters breed their hens very quickly and do them little, if any, harm. They do a little dance around the hen to see if she is ready. If she is, she squats, he mounts her, and in two or three seconds he is done. He jumps off and walks away, she fluffs her feathers back in place and goes about her business. If she is NOT ready, she simply walks away from him and he leaves her alone. Nature is not brutal. Leave the rooster with his flock. He will protect them, comfort them, find them food goodies, alert them to danger, and keep them close together. They will appreciate him.
What about all these people who have hens that are injured because of them? Some roosters jump on the hens even if they dont want the rooster on them.

It’s really not fair to keep single chickens. I’ve never agreed with it. They are flock animals and crave the company of their own kind. Separating him where he can still see the hens is very unfair. You’re denying him that natural companionship and even though he can see them, he can’t get to them. Unless you already know he’s aggressive, it’s not right to assume he is. Most roosters grow into beautiful, kind gentlemen. Usually aggressive roosters are OUR fault, whether it’s because we react to certain situations wrong or maybe we were too hands on and he now thinks we’re part of his flock. Cockerels that act like that towards hens are typically immature teenagers and soon grow up into respectful roosters. IMO, if you don’t have a bachelor flock (all male flock he can join) and you don’t plan on giving him any girls, he should be rehomed. Otherwise, my advice would be to just give him a chance. Let him grow up with the hens and become a rooster, I wouldn’t doubt for a minute that he’d defy your expectations.

Back
Top Bottom