Poor Gilbert. I put both my quail boys together with no issues for at least two weeks now. A couple of days ago they were a bit more vocal than usual but nothing else seemed off. Shortly after, I niticed both had developed male pattern baldness. The very next day Gilbert was in their hidey hole and as soon as I found him he panicked and the other started in on him. Once I managed to get them seperated I saw that hed been scalped.
When trying to get jim out he flew out into the garage and kept backing up into everything. I thought Id put him in a cut up sock to help keep him from flopping about but that didnt work. He ended up taking a tour of the living room and kitchen with two cats and the dog close behind. At least I didn’t lose him! Lol. I finally caught before he fell down the stairs by throwing a blanket over him. I went to TSC to get him some meds but quickly got very confused. I ended up getting NutriDrench and Rooster Booster wound spray and I made him some salve with lanolin, golden jojiba, tea tree essential oil, clove essential oil, and evening primrose oil. Hopefully he’ll be okay. He’s the nicer one.

Poor Gilbert. I put both my quail boys together with no issues for at least two weeks now. A couple of days ago they were a bit more vocal than usual but nothing else seemed off. Shortly after, I niticed both had developed male pattern baldness. The very next day Gilbert was in their hidey hole and as soon as I found him he panicked and the other started in on him. Once I managed to get them seperated I saw that hed been scalped.
When trying to get jim out he flew out into the garage and kept backing up into everything. I thought Id put him in a cut up sock to help keep him from flopping about but that didnt work. He ended up taking a tour of the living room and kitchen with two cats and the dog close behind. At least I didn’t lose him! Lol. I finally caught before he fell down the stairs by throwing a blanket over him. I went to TSC to get him some meds but quickly got very confused. I ended up getting NutriDrench and Rooster Booster wound spray and I made him some salve with lanolin, golden jojiba, tea tree essential oil, clove essential oil, and evening primrose oil. Hopefully he’ll be okay. He’s the nicer one.

Just plain Neosporin on that wound Fishy!

Tea tree oil stings like the dickens and has drying effects.
You need to keep that wound moist in order for it to heal.

Last edited:
Just plain Neosporin on that wound Fishy!

Tea tree oil stings like the dickens and has drying ffects.
You need to keep that wound moist in order for it to heal.
[/t
Darn it. A bunchy of things I read listed it as an ingredient and since its all expensive i figured id make my own. I do it for us and the dog all the time. I actually think neosporin is the only thing I dont have.
:eek: I just remembered! You are absolutely right! Tea tree is good for blemishes in humans. I guess i was blindsided by the ingredient lists. Throw a bunch of natural ingredients in and it sounds great. Ugh!🙄
Thanks for the reminder . I’ll make sure to get some neosporin. Too bad learning curves involve others’ pain.

Quail are incredibly tough and can survive horrible wounds.

Back
Top Bottom