What I am saying is frostbite on chickens is pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.
Huh. Then why is everyone so on edge about it??

Just got word that we're going all remote again. Our county hit level 4. I'm not sure what that means for me just yet, but I'm hoping I get the option to work from home since we technically have only 10 more work days until Christmas Break anyway. This way I can have lots of time to gather all the stuff I need to get their ventilation taken care of. I scooped some more poop form under their roost last night. They weren't entirely thrilled I interrupted their bedtime stories. :gig:lau
I was always under the impression that chickens didn't need much. I certainly don't regret getting them and they really don't need much in the grand scheme of things. Definitely less than a dog, maybe even a cat. But everything they do need is outside, in the cold, and I hate wearing gloves. :rant I have tiny hands with fat fingers, so most gloves have at least an inch of empty space at the end of each finger that gets in the way of everything I do. I did inadvertently find some nice driving gloves. My bicycle gloves I bought for the machines at the gym :love

Good morning everybody :frow

Just got word that we're going all remote again. Our county hit level 4. I'm not sure what that means for me just yet, but I'm hoping I get the option to work from home since we technically have only 10 more work days until Christmas Break anyway. This way I can have lots of time to gather all the stuff I need to get their ventilation taken care of. I scooped some more poop form under their roost last night. They weren't entirely thrilled I interrupted their bedtime stories. :gig:lau
I was always under the impression that chickens didn't need much. I certainly don't regret getting them and they really don't need much in the grand scheme of things. Definitely less than a dog, maybe even a cat. But everything they do need is outside, in the cold, and I hate wearing gloves. :rant I have tiny hands with fat fingers, so most gloves have at least an inch of empty space at the end of each finger that gets in the way of everything I do. I did inadvertently find some nice driving gloves. My bicycle gloves I bought for the machines at the gym :love

Good morning Fishy :) have a great Friday

I think folks are on edge about frostbite because WHEN it happens it can be awful. Most of the cases I have seen on here are on birds in crowded under ventilated coops or got lost outside in a wet nasty storm where shelter would be difficult for them to find.
IF you run across frostbite in your flock do not mess with it until you have advice from folks like casportpony or other long term members. Rubbing it, touching it, applying stuff to it can cause more damage than the frostbite itself.

My best advice is relax, take a breath and add ventilation to your coop. Count every bird every night to ensure no one stayed out. A few times I have had tardy birds sitting in the runs.

Different subject.

My ball valve is frozen on the pool. Dadgum it! I will be spending an extended period in the cold running a blow dryer on it to free it up. I think I will close the pool once I get it thawed and drained.
They will have to deal with limited bathing water for the next few months. They WILL get enough to bathe in just no diving. Poor abused burbs.

It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do.
It would be even better if I could get Thing 2 to bed before 10-11pm. But he slept until 7 today except for waking for about a half hour around 3:45.

I mostly had frostbite issues with my single combed boys. Now all my boys are pea combed. My mom's rooster is single combed but he already lost the tips and has been good since. Generally speaking, I didn't do ANYTHING to the birds that had frostbite. I only had one that had another bird try to beat him up and the frostbite started bleeding but other than that the frostbite healed over fine without intervention.

I'm sorry you have to stand out in the cold holding a hair dryer for what will probably feel like forever. At least you can turn it on your hands when they start to get cold. :)
Poor birds indeed! :lau

I am ok with cold temps. I think the worst part will be that the ball valve is under the ducky deck (known here as the "poop" deck). :sick

I meant to say I feel your pain about poor fitting gloves. I have tiny hands and short pinkies so yeah...floppy fingers. I get those super stretchy cheap gloves and double them up on really cold days.

I am thinking about getting a floating deicer to use in the pool with the plan being running it at night and removing for the daytime. That SHOULD keep the pool open and prevent ducky entanglement.

A garage magnet has been invaluable here. I have found tons of no no stuff in the chicken pen with it. Crap they dig up or crap I dropped and couldn't immediately find. Yup I have gathered spilled J clips with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-mini-magnetic-sweeper-62704.html
Rolling magnet was by far one of the best purchases I made! And yes harbor freight has them for cheap. I got mine when it was on sale. Think I paid $10 for it. I roll it over my driveway frequently as that's where I do most of my construction work. Saved myself having to get new tires a few times.

I am ok with cold temps. I think the worst part will be that the ball valve is under the ducky deck (known here as the "poop" deck). :sick

I meant to say I feel your pain about poor fitting gloves. I have tiny hands and short pinkies so yeah...floppy fingers. I get those super stretchy cheap gloves and double them up on really cold days.

I am thinking about getting a floating deicer to use in the pool with the plan being running it at night and removing for the daytime. That SHOULD keep the pool open and prevent ducky entanglement.

What about a sinking deicer? I use a bucket deicer in one of those waterers with a float in the bottom. Hate that waterer but needed another one this winter. Bucket deicer stays at the bottom so the float can stay free. Only uses 80 watts too. The other heated waterers use 110 I think.
https://www.familyfarmandhome.com/bucket-de-icer-570530.html
This is the one I use. I think its good up to 6 gallons. I use it in 3-4 gallons of water. Of course there are bigger ones too.

Back
Top Bottom