Morning Chiquita update.
She has then out of the tote and is teaching them to dig in the coop. She also flogged my leg when I tried to real quickly rake out last nights poop from roosting. Jeez lady I just wanted you to have a clean bed of sawdust to dig up. That was unexpected, she did not flog me once when she had her own chicks. She may be mad at me because it took her almost 5 weeks for me to get the hint and give her babies. I left the little family alone locked up for a while digging away.
Oh those Silkies hahaha they look all cute and docile - but in reality they are little monsters! I can't wait to see Marty with babies - I am sure I will likely loose a finger to her hahahah!

Hmmmm....I think you need to look through the book @BY Bob got you. Stance, body type - just about everything is wrong...including tail feathers that are black. Only the big comb is close. :lau :lau :lau :lau
Sad because I wish I could guess better. And that book does nothing in this department. Stance, body type, head shape, leg length, comb, wattles, where the feather coloring and shapes matter to look, etc.
It is a nice picture book though. :idunno

Well, in the span of 12 hours I went from having just over 7 dozen eggs on my counter to just 3. Yup 3 eggs. My uncle is a pastor and put the word out that I had laying hens. Was asked to meet at the church last night for one customer. He wants 4 dozen every 2 weeks. Another church member stopped by the house after church this morning and took the other 3 dozen. She said she could use about 3 dozen every month if I have them available. I need to raid the hay nest tonight, it has been about 3 days, I should pull down at least another dozen. Between now and Friday I have no available eggs, those are being saved for my first and regular egg customer. I am so thankful the daylight hours are getting longer and my girls are coming back online. One of my Marans Baby started back yesterday. My sister will be happy, I will have speckled eggs for her in her carton next week. Mom, momma hen and chiquita were right, I do not have enough hens. January is not over with yet, and the girls have not only paid for their own feed, they also bought the horses 2 bags of grain as well.
I know - awesome isn't it! Last year my gals were paying for their grain and the horses grain as well!

This is why I am interested in getting more hens; my cousins gals are 7 & 4 this year and last year they were hardly laying any eggs - that is ok they are pretty much lawn ornaments anyways :).

Then my niece's 3 hens that she 'left at my place' are going to be 2 this year and likely will start slowing down laying eggs, and my Silkies also will be slowing down, I bet - not to mention constantly going broody!

So getting a few more youngsters is not the worse thing - as long as they are laying eggs and paying for their way. Well that's my logic anyways! Really want to shove some chicks under my broodies now.

Sad because I wish I could guess better. And that book does nothing in this department. Stance, body type, head shape, leg length, comb, wattles, where the feather coloring and shapes matter to look, etc.
It is a nice picture book though. :idunno
Not to mention, I bet in the UK breed standards are likely different than here in NA.

For instance I am seriously looking at the Welbar as a replacement for some of my kiddos as they are getting older. I am betting the UK breed standard is different than the ones I am looking at here in Ontario.

Yes but the front - grumpy head and comb and wattles - does look Leghorn, doesn't it? Maybe just to my newbie eyes it does. But yes not the rest. So @RoyalChick is at least 1/4 right!
Thank you.
I only looked at that one (lovely) picture of her head and floppy comb.
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom