Hattie is Doing Well this Morning

I have not seen her jump up in a long time. There is a spring in her step today.
20200721_081711.jpg

Last edited:
For all of that, there is a distinct hierarchy in my flock, especially when it comes to food. There is always some kind of a structure to every society and chickens are no different. I think to say that they decide to live the same everywhere is silly. Just as every human leader is different, so is every rooster or alpha hen. Some chicken flocks are likely less caught up in structure, status, and position than others. Even within my flock different hens feel differently about the order of things. Hattie views the rules differently than Sansa does.

My hens have decided to organize their society into a highly structured format. Positions are easily identified. My theory is this came from how my flock grew and the integration process. These hens did not all grow up together.

It started when I added Patsy and Lilly who did grow up together. They accepted Daisy, the greatest hen ever, as their alpha. Perhaps because this was her coop and that gave her seniority, maybe it was her sparkling personality. I can't be sure why but it was. Patsy strictly enforced Lilly's subservient position.

Since then each time I added to the flock they joined at the bottom. That would seem to be logical and respectful.

The only movements I have seen in hierarchy have come within the subgroups of the additions. Maleficent moving ahead of Aurora and Sydney moving ahead of Sansa and then back behind her. I believe that to a certain extent mine have developed a caste system. You may move around within your caste but not outside of it.

I am certain that other flocks have chosen a much looser organization. I would again theorize that is especially true of larger groups of the same breed that all grew up together. Every one of my hens is a different breed. This has been true since I added Patsy and Lilly. That must impact how they choise to organize their society.

I do believe that within certain parameters, chickens choose how they organize and relate to each other.
Well said.

I've been to see about a feed change for the chickens today.
Currently I drive 40 minutes each way to get chicken feed. Recently the mill dates on the bag have been older than I'm happy with and the feed consistency very variable.
My game fowl friend who makes his own feed recommended a small local comerecial feed supplier that I didn't even know existed 10 minutes drive away. The feed is certified organic and apparently lots of the local chicken enthusiasts buy their feed from these people. They even do a 22% protein, 1% Calcium feed. Even better, although it's considerable more expensive is a fish based feed they have brough in specially for the game fowl keepers. I might try a bag even though it's close on twice the price per kilo.

For all of that, there is a distinct hierarchy in my flock, especially when it comes to food. There is always some kind of a structure to every society and chickens are no different. I think to say that they decide to live the same everywhere is silly. Just as every human leader is different, so is every rooster or alpha hen. Some chicken flocks are likely less caught up in structure, status, and position than others. Even within my flock different hens feel differently about the order of things. Hattie views the rules differently than Sansa does.

My hens have decided to organize their society into a highly structured format. Positions are easily identified. My theory is this came from how my flock grew and the integration process. These hens did not all grow up together.

It started when I added Patsy and Lilly who did grow up together. They accepted Daisy, the greatest hen ever, as their alpha. Perhaps because this was her coop and that gave her seniority, maybe it was her sparkling personality. I can't be sure why but it was. Patsy strictly enforced Lilly's subservient position.

Since then each time I added to the flock they joined at the bottom. That would seem to be logical and respectful.

The only movements I have seen in hierarchy have come within the subgroups of the additions. Maleficent moving ahead of Aurora and Sydney moving ahead of Sansa and then back behind her. I believe that to a certain extent mine have developed a caste system. You may move around within your caste but not outside of it.

I am certain that other flocks have chosen a much looser organization. I would again theorize that is especially true of larger groups of the same breed that all grew up together. Every one of my hens is a different breed. This has been true since I added Patsy and Lilly. That must impact how they choise to organize their society.

I do believe that within certain parameters, chickens choose how they organize and relate to each other.
That is an interesting observation, Bob. I seem to have a very loose flock when it comes to hierarchy. There is structure. They are organised about how they leave the coop, go to roost & who feeds from my hand but it all seems very fluid to my mind. It's not always the same hens in the same order ~ & they do cross intakes.

I am wondering if the keeper influences the flock structure. I dislike rigidity & my flock is very flexible. It is also quite a bit larger than yours ~ & I have Campines. They seem to think rules are for breaking. :lau

That is an interesting observation, Bob. I seem to have a very loose flock when it comes to hierarchy. There is structure. They are organised about how they leave the coop, go to roost & who feeds from my hand but it all seems very fluid to my mind. It's not always the same hens in the same order ~ & they do cross intakes.

I am wondering if the keeper influences the flock structure. I dislike rigidity & my flock is very flexible. It is also quite a bit larger than yours ~ & I have Campines. They seem to think rules are for breaking. :lau
I think Tribe 1 here has the easiest to identify structure. I think some of this has come about because they are family.
Tribe 2 is pretty fluid though. Punch is so relaxed about everything that he's virtually horizontal and Mag is just a really nice chap at heart it seems. Bracket thinks she's in charge and the rest just put up with the noise. Nolia is the most senior hen and from time to time lets everyone know it.
Tribe 3 is just odd. Myth is the most senior and Notch's favorite. However, Knock can't stand Myth and goes for her frequently. This involves lots of noise and Notch making conciliatory noises. Donk is a bit stranger than usual at the moment. Enough so to leave me a little concerned that she may have health problems, possibly worms.:confused:
I'm going to worm her just in case.

I've been to see about a feed change for the chickens today.
Currently I drive 40 minutes each way to get chicken feed. Recently the mill dates on the bag have been older than I'm happy with and the feed consistency very variable.
My game fowl friend who makes his own feed recommended a small local comerecial feed supplier that I didn't even know existed 10 minutes drive away. The feed is certified organic and apparently lots of the local chicken enthusiasts buy their feed from these people. They even do a 22% protein, 1% Calcium feed. Even better, although it's considerable more expensive is a fish based feed they have brough in specially for the game fowl keepers. I might try a bag even though it's close on twice the price per kilo.
I'm very interested in yoyr observations on the new feed Shad. Maybe in a couple of months?

I think Tribe 1 here has the easiest to identify structure. I think some of this has come about because they are family.
Tribe 2 is pretty fluid though. Punch is so relaxed about everything that he's virtually horizontal and Mag is just a really nice chap at heart it seems. Bracket thinks she's in charge and the rest just put up with the noise. Nolia is the most senior hen and from time to time lets everyone know it.
Tribe 3 is just odd. Myth is the most senior and Notch's favorite. However, Knock can't stand Myth and goes for her frequently. This involves lots of noise and Notch making conciliatory noises. Donk is a bit stranger than usual at the moment. Enough so to leave me a little concerned that she may have health problems, possibly worms.:confused:
I'm going to worm her just in case.
I realise that with only four hens, my observations are not admissable as data, but I'm going to chime in nonetheless. Age is the key. Everyone respects the oldest, Mary. Everyone. I've seen her assert authority four times in total and only to educate youngsters. Janet is next oldest and she asserts authority daily, mostly over Ivy, but sometimes Peggy gets a dose too. Peggy's next oldest and her primary flock role is watchfulness, but as a bantam that might be instictive rather than social. Then Ivy who demonstrates frustration with Janet once or twice a month, her primary flock role is tagging along behind everyone else.

I'm looking forward to providing Ivy with a couple of youngsters in 2022. I think she'll be very happy to no longer be the youngest and most harrassed.

Back
Top Bottom