Have you considered ordering in some live meal worms for her? They are pretty easy to keep, and I think if you raise them on non medicated chick starter as well as wheat or oat bran it’s kind of like gut loading crickets for a pet reptile. Any chicken who gains entry into the big coop via human intervention (not counting Cass sneaking his girls in attempting to raid the cat dishes!) gets a little handful. I ordered more than I planned on feeding and reserved about half for breeding. I haven’t really worked on expanding my worm farm because there’s very limited space in the trailer. But so far I’m fairly happy with the results. They literally live under our coffee table in two little plastic desk organizer drawer things.
It is funny you should say that. I was just thinking about it. I have only once tried live meal worms - I used them to tame the Little Princesses. At the start they were terrified of me but soon I had them not only eating out of my hand but perching on my shoulder - all due to live meal worms!
I read that they are easy to keep - but to breed they presumably have to go through the beetle stage as well no?

Yes, right until they decide to roll in mud... or add a couple pounds of forest dirt into their feathers to shake out in you face, or (not really an exclusive white leghorn trick I suppose, as Dean is only 1/4 leghorn but pretty white), there’s the ever popular “scratch myself with the underside of this greasy truck” maneuver... now that one takes a lot to get off!
That is true, but when they are that white white..........My heart melts. 🥰

I've been slowly working my way through my chicken pictures trying to weed out those that are out of focus, got half a chicken in, repeated, etc.
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but it's one of my favourites.
This is Ruffles who got killed by the two Huskies.
The picture title is;
When We Were Young.
View attachment 2390861

I love the one of Ruffles and Fat Bird cuddled up together, bffs. :love

A profound, complete and (almost) completely un-coerced, apology
I have been instructed on pain of death (a threat I take seriously) by all the Princesses in The Chicken Palace to make it clear to all citizens, whether human or fowl, that I was completely inaccurate and inappropriate in suggesting that the Princesses are without brains.
"You think we want to stand here in the wet you idiot? The rain makes the worms come up for air. If you would just do your job and go out and dig up worms and serve them to us in our cozy Palace we wouldn't be out here sopping wet."
I am personally skeptical about that last point but in deference to the orders I received I am posting this apology note:
Dear Princesses
I am fully aware that you are the smartest (and prettiest) of chickens and I am truly sorry for suggesting otherwise.
Your humble servant,
RC

This is the best, I love it!! :lau

A profound, complete and (almost) completely un-coerced, apology
I have been instructed on pain of death (a threat I take seriously) by all the Princesses in The Chicken Palace to make it clear to all citizens, whether human or fowl, that I was completely inaccurate and inappropriate in suggesting that the Princesses are without brains.
"You think we want to stand here in the wet you idiot? The rain makes the worms come up for air. If you would just do your job and go out and dig up worms and serve them to us in our cozy Palace we wouldn't be out here sopping wet."
I am personally skeptical about that last point but in deference to the orders I received I am posting this apology note:
Dear Princesses
I am fully aware that you are the smartest (and prettiest) of chickens and I am truly sorry for suggesting otherwise.
Your humble servant,
RC
For royalty, they don't express much noblesse oblige. Try showing them videos of HM Q Lizzy talking politely on walkabout. And install stables, guards and a mews.

:gig:lau:gig

That is true, but when they are that white white..........My heart melts. 🥰
I keep trying to get a decent shot of Nancy but I fail each time! But she’s my little white baby and I know what you mean. :love
22A67B8D-7C4F-4466-B13A-9827F4A2DB29.jpeg

She was I always thought. Just had the right shaped head and that slightly soft look about her. She and Cillin saved Tribe 1 from dying out. I will always think about her from time to time.:love
I can understand that and I agree with your assessment of her beauty. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom