Maybe I need to segment the big roost. I really don't know what to do. I was so scared.
Is it possible to separate the meanies temporarily? I've had birds try to hustle like this but the coop design makes it almost impossible for any one hen to prevent another from getting in when she wants. Beatha has it hardest & roosts last but she is able to fly up & avoid the martinet guarding the steps. What about a 2nd entrance?

Is it possible to separate the meanies temporarily? I've had birds try to hustle like this but the coop design makes it almost impossible for any one hen to prevent another from getting in when she wants. Beatha has it hardest & roosts last but she is able to fly up & avoid the martinet guarding the steps. What about a 2nd entrance?
Maybe another entrance. Maybe ladder roosts would be better. She could have used a nest box but she has the urge to roost. Maybe another high roost over the window would help. There is already so much roost space in the coop. They don't have to be next to each other if they don't want to.

Last night everyone went to bed quietly. No problem. What causes them to behave like this?

I don't know Bob but animals go through periods just like us. My cats are bonded brothers. I dread the day I lose one of them but @ present Kirby would like to take Marlow out in the biggest possible way. I am always finding Kirby standing over Marlow snarling & Marlow cringing. Something has upset Kirby's equilibrium. I tend to think it is to do with their relationship with me. Marlow likes to hog me & Kirby wants his share of loving too. I try to be fair but it doesn't seem to be about fair... 🙄 I'm less certain with the birds. It seems to have to do with what happens during the day. I hate missing feed time because I know that's when every girl takes the opportunity to bond with me. Some are more demanding than others. Ha'penny really lets me know she wants special attention ~ & that from a chook that won't be handled! Others get upset with her because she keeps them away. Lower order girls are always looking to me to see if they can get a little something before it's their turn. I try but the dynamics are really complicated & some nights it's a blood bath!

Last edited:
I don't know Bob but animals go through periods just like us. My cats are bonded brothers. I dread the day I lose one of them but @ present Kirby would like to take Marlow out in the biggest possible way. I am always finding Kirby standing over Marlow snarling & Marlow cringing. Something has upset Kirby's equilibrium. I tend to thing it is to do with their relationship with me. Marlow likes to hog me & Kirby wants his share of loving too. I try to be fair but it doesn't seem to be about fair... 🙄 I'm less certain with the birds. It seems to have to do with what happens during the day. I hate missing feed time because I know that's when every girl takes the opportunity to bond with me. Some are more demanding than others. Ha'penny really lets me know she wants special attention ~ & that from a chook that won't be handled! Others get upset with her because she keeps them away. Lower order girls are always looking to me to see if they can get a little something before it's their turn. I try but the dynamics are really complicated & some nights it's a blood bath!
:hugs

With all the room my rafters have for perching, sometimes Beetov-Hen will get bossy, and move the others around, before finally settling down for the night. (Makes me crazy):he
I'm blessed in that I don't have any really domineering hens. Ha'penny & Lavender are my worst offenders. Lavender is such a klutz the lowest hen can outmanoeuvre her & Ha'penny is ADD & can't keep her mind on the job @ hand. :lau

I'm blessed in that I don't have any really domineering hens. Ha'penny & Lavender are my worst offenders. Lavender is such a klutz the lowest hen can outmanoeuvre her & Ha'penny is ADD & can't keep her mind on the job @ hand. :lau
Aurora is mean and crazy. Sansa is just mean at times and lovely at other times. Aurora just chooses nights to pick on people. One night it's Phyllis, one night to Sydney, and another its Sansa. No matter, they have always been in the coop at closing time. Until tonight.

Aurora is mean and crazy. Sansa is just mean at times and lovely at other times. Aurora just chooses nights to pick on people. One night it's Phyllis, one night to Sydney, and another its Sansa. No matter, they have always been in the coop at closing time. Until tonight.
That is too scary to be allowed to continue. I'm not much help I'm afraid. My set up is very different. Even if someone was denied a roost they would still be safely in the coop run @ night but I always check & I've never yet found anyone who wasn't in the coop, if not always roosting.

Maybe I need to segment the big roost. I really don't know what to do. I was so scared.
Oh no! This cannot go on.
I do think you need to add more roosts. It is not that you don't have enough space for them but there need to be enough that she can always find one away from the meanies.
Looks like you could fit a small one over the window and another one over the chicken door maybe?
I am so sorry - that is really upsetting. I assume you put her inside tonight?

Back
Top Bottom