Yes I poked Hattie down the roost again. That's Phyllis on the left.
Nest Cam_20201029_212445.jpg

It is funny you should say that. I was just thinking about it. I have only once tried live meal worms - I used them to tame the Little Princesses. At the start they were terrified of me but soon I had them not only eating out of my hand but perching on my shoulder - all due to live meal worms!
I read that they are easy to keep - but to breed they presumably have to go through the beetle stage as well no?
True, but literally the care is basically the same. They are super easy, you just need to make sure they are true mealworms and not super worms. Supers are either a different beetle that’s harder to breed or mealworms treated with something to stop the from pupating.

I Am Furious :mad:

I am having trouble writing this as I don't know what I am going to do.

It was a complete rainout today as the remains of hurricane Zeta came through. It rained so much the pool is overflowing. I left the ladies in the run complex all day. No use in them getting soaked when it's this cold outside. The complex is completely roofed. So while they might get some side rain, mostly they can stay dry.

When I checked the camera to check on roosting tonight, this is what I saw.
View attachment 2392122

Now I took this picture because I had to go out and find out if Phyllis was on the high roost. Somehow I knew she wouldn't be. Aurora was in her spot.

She was not.

View attachment 2392124

That is the same roost Maleficent was on when........

This is how it started with Mal when Lilly kept chasing her out of the coop. I thought the multiple roosts would help but now it's not Lilly, it's Aurora or Sansa. There is so much room. Why won't they share?

Why!?

I just can't. I was so afraid tonight. I just can't.
This cannot continue, it’s just not safe! This is exactly how my Friend lost 6/10 of his hens. Auto door, too busy/lazy to check on them, especially after he moved about a block away from the coop. (Not that that’s the case with you Bob! Or we wouldn’t all be seeing this via coop cam and your investigation) I recently rescued his remaining 3 hens, and the night I picked them up, sure enough, the feather picking bully was inside and her two barebacked victims were outside perched on a water line just waiting to be taken out by the Racoons. Edit to add: its a 5x10 very tall coop with a 4’ long very high ladder style roost. Just one girl inside alone and the other two in the run

I wonder if it is at all to do with the drastically different appearance of Phyllis? Combined with the limited vision? I know my hens are apt to bully “outsiders” My one Barnvelder X is often separate from her flock as the only barred/laced chicken in the group. And when tailless or two dot decides to sneak into Roosties pen to lay, the big brown girls will all give chase.

Maybe adding more roosts would help... or taking out the tempting outdoor ones? If the alternatives outside are less appealing she might be more motivated to find a spot inside despite the difficulties (mean girls!)

This cannot continue, it’s just not safe! This is exactly how my Friend lost 6/10 of his hens. Auto door, too busy/lazy to check on them, especially after he moved about a block away from the coop. (Not that that’s the case with you Bob! Or we wouldn’t all be seeing this via coop cam and your investigation) I recently rescued his remaining 3 hens, and the night I picked them up, sure enough, the feather picking bully was inside and her two barebacked victims were outside perched on a water line just waiting to be taken out by the Racoons. Edit to add: its a 5x10 very tall coop with a 4’ long very high ladder style roost. Just one girl inside alone and the other two in the run

I wonder if it is at all to do with the drastically different appearance of Phyllis? Combined with the limited vision? I know my hens are apt to bully “outsiders” My one Barnvelder X is often separate from her flock as the only barred/laced chicken in the group. And when tailless or two dot decides to sneak into Roosties pen to lay, the big brown girls will all give chase.

Maybe adding more roosts would help... or taking out the tempting outdoor ones? If the alternatives outside are less appealing she might be more motivated to find a spot inside despite the difficulties (mean girls!)
This is the first time Phyllis has roosted outside. I don't want to support the habit, while at the same time I need a spot for her to go if this happens so I can find her easily. The run is way more secure than it was when I lost Maleficent but it still not where I want anyone sleeping, especially with winter coming.

I need to think on this. It's so frustrating.

It's not just Phyllis, it was Sansa barely getting in the other night before the door closed.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is at all to do with the drastically different appearance of Phyllis?
I've wondered about this also. My Aracaunas are definitely the outsiders in my flock ~ even from each other because they don't much look like each other but the muffs, beards & crests mark them out as oddities.

I've wondered about this also. My Aracaunas are definitely the outsiders in my flock ~ even from each other because they don't much look like each other but the muffs, beards & crests mark them out as oddities.
It's not like Aurora is not weird looking with that beard and muffs. I wonder what influence Maleficent might have on her if she was still around. Aurora was much calmer when Maleficent was around. 🙁

It's not like Aurora is not weird looking with that beard and muffs. I wonder what influence Maleficent might have on her if she was still around. Aurora was much calmer when Maleficent was around. 🙁
I would throw everything but the kitchen sink at this.

Second door, more roosts, remove outside roosting options.

If the problem persists I'd consider housing Aurora separately. Maybe in the mini coop.

Back
Top Bottom