This is a bad group to expect to talk you down from adding more chickens. They are enablers all the way. Late last year I had a chance to get some Frost Legbars and this whole group was DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

That having been said. Lavender hens are simply beautiful. Or so Hattie says.
View attachment 2487979

Lavender hens are ACE! You need @Shadrach if you want to be talked out of more hens. He's the only one of us with a really rational head on his shoulders. ;)

Not good... especially the swelling. This sounds like an earlier catch of what I’m going through with Roostie. If you could share pictures and your Dr’s treatment plan I would greatly appreciate it. I am guessing that Dr Gloria isn’t as pricy as the place I ended up in on Monday? Dean’s recent bumble was less troublesome but seems to be possibly returning. Thinking Positive Thoughts for Cillin and you Shad. I am so glad you have a good vet. Cillin is the #1 Rooster in his tribe, correct? Roostie has been fleeing from Sammy and Dean, when normally he would stand his ground, but hasn’t lost any ladies over the injury.
I hope both of those roosters get well soon :fl

This is a bad group to expect to talk you down from adding more chickens. They are enablers all the way. Late last year I had a chance to get some Frost Legbars and this whole group was DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

That having been said. Lavender hens are simply beautiful. Or so Hattie says.
View attachment 2487979
What a great picture of Hattie in all her finery! 🥰

Cillin is sick. He had a mild case of bumble foot a few months ago which Gloria treated. He's got another one now and it's infected. His pad is terribly swollen.
He's at the vets 6.30pm tomorrow.
It's amjor problem if he's sick. He ran away from Treacle this evening. Yesterday Treacle didn't challenge him. I think Gloria will have to operate and that means Cillin will have to be confined for a while and Treacle will be the boss. When Cillin returns there will be problems. Not at all happy about this.
Cillin has been as good as gold. I managed to get him out of the bamboo. It took a while. He's in with me for the night and has put up with lots of handling and inspections.:love
I know I post a lot of pictures of Treacle but Cillin has a place very deep in my heart.
View attachment 2487816View attachment 2487817

I'm sorry Shad. Not good. I've got a girl on the way to the vet this morning too. :( There always seems to be something with chickens.

Alrighty. I have hit page 400 in this thread but being so focussed on catching up (and there is still a lot to go) I feel I am missing out on interacting with the ‘now’ thread and what you guys are sharing so I will try to switch between.
Apologies I keep posting replies to things from a year or so ago! I know it can throw the flow of the thread off but things I have come across in my early @BY Bob thread trawl have resonated with my current situation so I felt compelled to comment/ ask questions etc.
I already feel I have learnt a lot by starting at the beginning (page 1) on here, my flock dynamic with the new pullets being one of them, so thank you to all you guys for posting such informative and unique observations in here.
I know I am new to all of the threads but I want to say a big thank you again to @MaryJanet for inviting me to join her flock thread when I joined BYC recently, which has now led me to here also ☺ and thank you to @BY Bob for letting me join his flock and read about the happenings on Fluffy Butt Acres 😊
I realised just now that I never asked if I could join in. MJ asked me into hers and then I kinda just smashed my way in here and I apologise for such an impolite entrance and etiquette.

Anyway, to show my appreciation I took the first fluffy butt shot of Snow ever today (she’s 11ish weeks) even though her tail is covering it a bit but I think I have discovered that she is last in the order and my Belle (Babybel) is perhaps second even though she is smaller and very ADHD (plus being cheeky and so cute)
I think crashing in is normal, but when I was new it felt awkward. So in your case I thought I'd try an invitation to help you get started and it seems to have worked! I'm so glad you took me up on it :D

Chickens get referred to as birds. But, if the theory is correct and chickens were in fact a type of dinosaur which had small arms that later developed into wings and given most would acknowledge chickens have never flown like most other creatures we classify as birds, then it’s hard to see how the classification as bird is reasonable.

We all know I'm not the scientist on these threads so enlighten me, Shad: If chickens aren't birds because they don't fly properly what happens to emus, kiwis, ostriches, penguins, cassowaries et al? Are they not birds either? I don't think you could classify any of them as fowl...

Back
Top Bottom