My first attempt wasn't all that clever. The second was better. Today I got it about right. The main problem is the bump faces slightly forward and is close to the middle toe. They've all stayed on and the last two have stayed where I placed them. The first of the last two wasn't quite positioned correctly.
This is what I make.
View attachment 2492981View attachment 2492982
The black stuff is neoprene and I'm going to try that next. Getting a tidy hole in it is the challenge. You need a hole punch the right size for best results.
Looks promising. Good luck! I read up about how the drawing ointments work and you would put it in the middle of the hole - it softens the skin to make it easier for the pus to break through.

Among the Missing

I am spending the weekend with Eve celebrating Christmas finally. I will be an infrequent visitor the next two days. I didn't want anyone to wonder.

View attachment 2492144
I also have to say... I love that you’re now warning us when you’re away for a day or two! Who would have thought a chicken story thread would turn into nearly a part time job, and that you would also end up with such a diverse adopted chicken friend family that starts to worry if they don’t hear from you each day! Talk about a community 💕

How is Roostie? Goats are cute but I'm worried about him too.

And today’s Roostie update... I’ve just gotten in from coop cleaning day with some pictures of him! We are halfway through his course of antibiotics (day5), which I have been religiously stuffing into his less than willing beak at 12 hr intervals, as prescribed. This means a nighttime coop visit at about 9-10pm, and he’s taken to trying to hide in the center of his ladies to avoid his mid-night pill and snack. They say to take with food, so he’s getting a scratch snack nightly, which is also why the morning dose is a little “late”. I am letting them out 8-9 am once it’s somewhat light out, (as owls are evil morning predators), and this lets him get some breakfast in before I pill him.

I don’t know how well things are going, to be honest, it’s still quite swollen, but seems to be a less painful for him. He’s even getting some mating in with his ladies as well now, and limping along much better than two weeks ago. He is also not a huge fan of Arduinna, but she doesn’t chase him (that’s reserved for the more active flighty girls and Little Red). Any thoughts on his foot are welcome.

1C97D641-C227-4C7A-A42E-727CCDF3FBEE.jpeg
32DA5B11-69BB-4F98-B2E7-8CDDACEF346C.jpeg

And here we have a few more back chicken Tax pictures from coop cleaning day. I fully mucked our the free range trailer, and Roostie’s tractor today. Unfortunately they were out of shavings the trip before last into town for feed so I had to use some crummy hay. It clumps, it holds moisture, it’s nasty all around in the coop. It wasn’t fun for anyone. The fumes were noxious. We were almost two weeks behind on the cleaning, between all the goat excitement, the vet visit, and the lack of shavings. The hay is less bad as a thin layer on top of the dirty shavings if necessary to tide me over.

2B9488D1-4410-4CA6-BD78-2AF5FD9B6308.jpeg
07FBA27C-E8E0-4F4D-8C16-F2C8988A04D3.jpeg
F1DB6C68-0477-4D88-B518-7BB58A9E0904.jpeg
CCD37394-00E0-4584-A4B6-1B827679BB97.jpeg
8488748A-A917-46F1-9A55-853AACFC3654.jpeg

I also have to say... I love that you’re now warning us when you’re away for a day or two! Who would have thought a chicken story thread would turn into nearly a part time job, and that you would also end up with such a diverse adopted chicken friend family that starts to worry if they don’t hear from you each day! Talk about a community 💕
It's such a wonderful thing. You all have truly helped me to deal with day after day of the same 4 walls. I always have our chicken family to look forward to.

Yes, I now know I have to let you all know. I've seen @Ribh do it and so I thought it made sense.

And today’s Roostie update... I’ve just gotten in from coop cleaning day with some pictures of him! We are halfway through his course of antibiotics (day5), which I have been religiously stuffing into his less than willing beak at 12 hr intervals, as prescribed. This means a nighttime coop visit at about 9-10pm, and he’s taken to trying to hide in the center of his ladies to avoid his mid-night pill and snack. They say to take with food, so he’s getting a scratch snack nightly, which is also why the morning dose is a little “late”. I am letting them out 8-9 am once it’s somewhat light out, (as owls are evil morning predators), and this lets him get some breakfast in before I pill him.

I don’t know how well things are going, to be honest, it’s still quite swollen, but seems to be a less painful for him. He’s even getting some mating in with his ladies as well now, and limping along much better than two weeks ago. He is also not a huge fan of Arduinna, but she doesn’t chase him (that’s reserved for the more active flighty girls and Little Red). Any thoughts on his foot are welcome.

View attachment 2493612View attachment 2493615
His behavior says he is feeling better. Let's go with that for the moment. More movement will help to push the swelling out as well. He is so handsome.

And here we have a few more back chicken Tax pictures from coop cleaning day. I fully mucked our the free range trailer, and Roostie’s tractor today. Unfortunately they were out of shavings the trip before last into town for feed so I had to use some crummy hay. It clumps, it holds moisture, it’s nasty all around in the coop. It wasn’t fun for anyone. The fumes were noxious. We were almost two weeks behind on the cleaning, between all the goat excitement, the vet visit, and the lack of shavings. The hay is less bad as a thin layer on top of the dirty shavings if necessary to tide me over.

View attachment 2493624View attachment 2493625View attachment 2493626View attachment 2493627View attachment 2493628
Your birds are looking great! Thanks for the photos!

What is it about old coop stuff that they must go dig through it? They could have done that the whole time it was in there! :confused:

Your birds are looking great! Thanks for the photos!

What is it about old coop stuff that they must go dig through it? They could have done that the whole time it was in there! :confused:
They might have missed a bit - so they need to check before it gets taken away!

Back
Top Bottom