Oh dear I just looked up the Siberian pea tree/shrub and it is considered invasive and noxious with strong recommendation not to plant it.
I will keep looking for what to plant.
Russian olives are no longer allowed to be transplanted in Montana. they spread along water sources every state has different regulations. As far as the pea shrub, most grazers (around here) won't eat it, but most seed/grass/grain eating birds will quite happily eat the seeds. Hummingbirds and bees love the blooms (hummers will nest in it too), and deer will shelter from wind/weather around it. if lilacs aren't a problem for you (I know someone allergic to the blooms), they're an easy one. some honeysuckles are cold hardy too (Montana has a couple of native varieties much to my surprise), bird's nest spruce makes a good (dense) shrub. pontentilla (cinquefoil) creates spaces under it while staying relatively low. sagebrush (if you're not allergic) comes in a variety and also provides shelter. some of the junipers may also work. No idea how much water you get, but most of the above list can tolerate some major dry spells and ALL can handle the cold (correct varieties).

Russian olives are no longer allowed to be transplanted in Montana. they spread along water sources every state has different regulations. As far as the pea shrub, most grazers (around here) won't eat it, but most seed/grass/grain eating birds will quite happily eat the seeds. Hummingbirds and bees love the blooms (hummers will nest in it too), and deer will shelter from wind/weather around it. if lilacs aren't a problem for you (I know someone allergic to the blooms), they're an easy one. some honeysuckles are cold hardy too (Montana has a couple of native varieties much to my surprise), bird's nest spruce makes a good (dense) shrub. pontentilla (cinquefoil) creates spaces under it while staying relatively low. sagebrush (if you're not allergic) comes in a variety and also provides shelter. some of the junipers may also work. No idea how much water you get, but most of the above list can tolerate some major dry spells and ALL can handle the cold (correct varieties).
I am going to have fun choosing! I am also taking cuttings of things I already have.
Honey berries are a form of honeysuckle - they are native and have sweet edible berries. I am hoping they will be a big success.

I am going to have fun choosing! I am also taking cuttings of things I already have.
Honey berries are a form of honeysuckle - they are native and have sweet edible berries. I am hoping they will be a big success.
Anything I'm (attempting) adding to the existing stuff I'm trying to keep it multi-purpose: feed for us, the chickens, the bees, the hummingbirds, winter shelter (just planted a dwarf mango pine in the middle of the open patch up from the coop), medicinal (keep trying and failing with elderberry, st John's wort is considered invasive and cannot be purchased anywhere in the state including online). I'm still working on having bee/hummingbird food blooming first to last frost (still have some gaps)

Final Update from Today's Build

The roof is in. Apparently we had scheduled dinner with our friends whom had cared for the chickens while we were gone, for tonight. As Mrs BY Bob reminded me 30 minutes before they arrived. So I had to stop at the roof which I just got done in time. I did find something I will need to correct but it is essentially complete. The sides, nest box, and window will have to wait for tomorrow.

Some of you might be wondering, why did he put a roof on a coop that is in a covered run? Simple answer, the run roof leaks and I can't have the Phyllistines getting damp.

20210731_171719.jpg

Final Update from Today's Build

The roof is in. Apparently we had scheduled dinner with our friends whom had cared for the chickens while we were gone, for tonight. As Mrs BY Bob reminded me 30 minutes before they arrived. So I had to stop at the roof which I just got done in time. I did find something I will need to correct but it is essentially complete. The sides, nest box, and window will have to wait for tomorrow.

Some of you might be wondering, why did he put a roof on a coop that is in a covered run? Simple answer, the run roof leaks and I can't have the Phyllistines getting damp.

View attachment 2781103
It's looking really good! I'm very impressed with how much you've achieved in a day :eek:

Mama has left the nest (better part of 48 hours after the 1 hatched). Only the 1, no pips on the rest of the eggs. Assuming all the babies reach adulthood, I'll have 19 birds: 2 roos (1 JERSEY giant Rusty, 1 Hamburg Cheetah), 1 colombian wyandotte Silver, 2 partridge rocks Mama and Reverend Mother/Flirt (responds to courting but won't allow mating), 2 Houdans Thing1 and Thing 2, 2 Golden wyandottes Goldy and Tawny, 2 white Sapphire? Splash and Blanca, 1 Dorking Bear, 1 Barred Rock with weird colors Cuckoo, 1 RIR Sheba, 1 Silver Phoenix Helen, 1 Cream Legbar? TWIRP, 1 Dominique Nika, 1 Welsummer Wellie, and 1 hatchling Storm.View attachment 2780622View attachment 2780637
So many wonderful pictures. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom