:barnie I re-read your post... it was Sydney being in the foreground that confused me! Your barred rock GAINED altitude??? Partway through her descent? That is crazy, she must have been channeling her inner leghorn, and Daisy was clearly looking out for her!

IKR! :D

Yes it was absolutely improbable, yet it did happen. :confused: I'm assigning it to the fact that she is still a pullet. Nothing else makes sense.

Certainly that's it! A full-figured BR hen is just not compatible with ascending flight. I hope Sydney doesn't have to learn this the hard way in some future attempt. :fl

Before the pigeons I had a small flock of chickens. Here are my two BRs at the cockerel (Chuy) and pullet(Tina) stage. They had huge personality indifferent ways.
WIN_20160605_16_35_29_Pro.jpg

Sunny Sunday

the new girls are enjoying their section of the yard with little interaction with the Bigs.

Aurora has come by twice now and the Newbies are giving her a wide berth. I think Aurora is really enjoying watching them scurry away.

There have been two pecking incidents so far. One Sansa and Phyllis squared off when Phyllis did not immediately back down, no damage done. The other involved Aurora surprising Phyllis at the water dish. There was a brief chase with Aurora grabbing Phyllis' tail feather briefly, but again, no damage done.

Lilly has come by but not really engaged them. Hattie hasn't bothered to even come by.

I think they may be Aurora's responsibility at this point.
Life looks a lot better for everyone concerned without that snow.

I admit it. I've been interfering a little in chicken politics.:oops:
Apart from me finding Treacle a good looking rooster, he also pulls his weight in the tribe and gets on with everybody. As long as no food or mating is involved he gets on well enoubh with Cillin to join in with tribe activities. Tyle his younger brother is now interested in the hens and is making random neck grabs. Mel Fudge and Moon either warn him off or fight him off. The others avoid him apart from Tap.
To look at the tribe, apart from Fat Bird, Treacle and Moon stand out in both looks and behavior.
Treacle needs at least one hen as company. They both come to the house on their own or together without the rest of the tribe. They come with the rest of the tribe as well.
Moon arrived, I didn't even notice until Treacle arrived shortly after. Moon is very quiet.
I was shelling walnuts outside and instead of giving a piece to both I just gave to Treacle who dropped more than half for Moon. This gives him credit in Moons estimation. The more credit Treacle gets the more likely Moon is to follow him.
P2232616.JPG

P2232617.JPG

Last edited:
I admit it. I've been interfering a little in chicken politics.:oops:
Apart from me finding Treacle a good looking rooster, he also pulls his weight in the tribe and gets on with everybody. As long as no food or mating is involved he gets on well enoubh with Cillin to join in with tribe activities. Tyle his younger brother is now interested in the hens and is making random neck grabs. Mel Fudge and Moon either warn him off or fight him off. The others avoid him apart from Tap.
To look at the tribe, apart from Fat Bird, Treacle and Moon stand out in both looks and behavior.
Treacle needs at least one hen as company. They both come to the house on there own or together without the rest of the tribe. They come with the rest of the tribe as well.
Moon arrived, I didn't even notice until Treacle arrived shortly after. Moon is very quiet.
I was shelling walnuts outside and instead of giving a piece to both I just gave to Treacle who dropped more than half for Moon. This gives him credit in Moons estimation. The more credit Treacle gets the more likely Moon is to follow him.
View attachment 2033912

View attachment 2033913

Awwww, courting chooks are so sweet! 😍 (See? I am very prone to anthropomorphism too )

There are 15 chickens of various ages in the frame of this picture.
View attachment 2033915

If you say so Shad.... 🤔🧐

You could make a picture photo book called “find the chicken “ . Next project ?

Back
Top Bottom