No Freeloading Allowed

Chickens like to work for their food. If you have ever seen a chicken scratching while eating from a feeder and wondered why? It is this instinct to work called contrafreeloading that makes them do this.

I have always tried to capture one of my hens doing this. Today Phyllis did it for me. I almost missed it. It occurs right at the beginning of this video. You will see Phyllis scratch once IN HER FOOD BOWL.

No free meals for this lady. She is a hard worker. 👷‍♀️

Seems all I have are actual freeloaders right now! Out of 22 of my girls (Mr Marans ladies and Bob’s combined) I am getting an average of 1-2 eggs a day. Yesterday was a lucky 3 egg day... not great for sales! Even Hawk’s red Production girls have quit laying since the windstorm... luckily Barney’s 6 girls are still reliable, I know the free Rangers are laying, but haven’t a clue as to where most days! Tailess is laying 4-5 eggs a week, but in Roosties tractor.

I’m thinking, with the weather I believe is coming this winter, that I will try to integrate Sammy back in with Dean and Cass. I’m thinking screw it, and slam together a decent sized and properly walled coop out of some of my House materials ASAP. 35 pullets/hens should be enough to keep the three guys fairly calm In shared housing right?

Seems all I have are actual freeloaders right now! Out of 22 of my girls (Mr Marans ladies and Bob’s combined) I am getting an average of 1-2 eggs a day. Yesterday was a lucky 3 egg day... not great for sales! Even Hawk’s red Production girls have quit laying since the windstorm... luckily Barney’s 6 girls are still reliable, I know the free Rangers are laying, but haven’t a clue as to where most days! Tailess is laying 4-5 eggs a week, but in Roosties tractor.

I’m thinking, with the weather I believe is coming this winter, that I will try to integrate Sammy back in with Dean and Cass. I’m thinking screw it, and slam together a decent sized and properly walled coop out of some of my House materials ASAP. 35 pullets/hens should be enough to keep the three guys fairly calm In shared housing right?
It's all about enough space. As long as they have enough space, the rooster to hen ratio seems like there will be enough for everyone.

No Freeloading Allowed

Chickens like to work for their food. If you have ever seen a chicken scratching while eating from a feeder and wondered why? It is this instinct to work called contrafreeloading that makes them do this.

I have always tried to capture one of my hens doing this. Today Phyllis did it for me. I almost missed it. It occurs right at the beginning of this video. You will see Phyllis scratch once IN HER FOOD BOWL.

No free meals for this lady. She is a hard worker. 👷‍♀️

I am not sure working in the big coop is part of the International Federation of Labouring Chickens collective bargaining agreement. You want to watch out, you will have a strike on your hands like I did over Sunday work rules!

I'm please to report Scooby was a star patient at the vet. He does has an infected sore on his gums. The vet couldn't say for sure what caused it, but a mouse bitting his is totally possible.

20201027_193822.jpg

He was very relaxed and purred the entire time. The vet even commented on what a sweet kitty he was.

Taz decided to go belly up tonight andi just had to share!! Lol

20201027_221607.jpg

He's another love bug! His legs are 10" long from his elbow to toe tips. He is very tall and athletic.

I'm please to report Scooby was a star patient at the vet. He does has an infected sore on his gums. The vet couldn't say for sure what caused it, but a mouse bitting his is totally possible.

View attachment 2389889
He was very relaxed and purred the entire time. The vet even commented on what a sweet kitty he was.

View attachment 2389892
He's another love bug! His legs are 10" long from his elbow to toe tips. He is very tall and athletic.
We will have to take your word for it on Taz's athleticism - he looks as athletic as a slug in that position! Three of my four cats spend most of their day being athletic in their dreams!
Poor Scooby - he looks rather subdued - but I am glad the vet can fix him up. My massive Nightshade has lost so many teeth (he is prone to gum disease) that even though he is a very competent mouser they all survive unscathed because he hasn't figured out he can't gum them to death! :lau :lau

I am not sure working in the big coop is part of the International Federation of Labouring Chickens collective bargaining agreement. You want to watch out, you will have a strike on your hands like I did over Sunday work rules!
O lord I don't need IFoLC trouble! Thanks for the heads up. I'll have Mrs BY Bob move Phyllis' dish outside!

View attachment 2389889

View attachment 2389892
Great job Scooby! We are glad you are going to be OK. Hi Taz. :frow

Back
Top Bottom