Mel issued forth from Tribe 1's coop this morning with all the rest and the lot headed in the opposite to usual direction and ended up at the front of the main house having gone over my roof and scuttled around the back to the car port, gingerly navigating the rockery which was very slippery from the morning heavy dew fall.
The only noticable difference between Mel and the others was the lack of feathers and if one got close, a wound just visible on her right shoulder. She is a bit paler but then so is Fudge.
She was with the tribe all day. mostly staying close to Cillin. Meds were easy in a split prawn and she ate a reasonable amount of commercial feed. I didn't bother to bring her into the house for wound cleaning and did it sat under the bush with the tribe. Moon would insist on trying to eat the wipes while they were in my hand. I've got a very wet coat pocket now.
The wounds look okayish. Not entirely happy with them. The graze come blister under her wing looks the worst. It's gone black like a bruise. It's not infected, just looks bad.
The infected puncture is still open but not looking as inflamed. I'll leave that open to breathe for a couple of days then pack it with Blastoestimulina.
The other two puncture wounds are looking better. No sign of any infection.

It's interesting to see the conclusions of some feeding studies that state chickens eat more when they eat together born out here. There is obaviously something about watching others stuff their faces. They didn't venture far from the bush by the bread oven all day.
These two pics were taken this evening at supper time. That's Mel in the background in the first pic. Tackle in front.
I was half expecting Mel to be a bit more aggressive than usual just to let the juiors know she might not be the full ticket, but she won't be putting up with any nonsense. She belted Tap once that I saw; Tap really pushes her luck and for the rest warninng sounds were enough. She ate just about enough at lunch time and got her meds with a whole tin size piece of cod at supper and ate some commercial feed.
When I looked in a while ago she was at the other end of the same perch she was on last night but tonight she had wedged herself between Cillin and the coop wall. The perch ends get least air flow and tend to be just that bit warmer.
View attachment 2422553View attachment 2422554
Great update Shad. Thanks for keeping us in the Mel recovery loop.

So all the litter in the chicken run is quite soft. I do that so they don’t get injured jumping off wrist, etc. However, I just noticed that Dorothy’s claws are way too long, and I suspect others might look like that, too. I think it’s not an issue in the summer when they’re out free ranging in scratching a lt harder ground a lot more. Should I try to trim them? clearly, she has been digging... look how dirty her feet are. But those toenails!
View attachment 2422818
I once asked Mark the vet if he was worried about Mary's long claws and he said Nup.

Sure enough, they've now worn down to a practical length.

Screenshot_2020-11-24-17-19-27-78.png

Chicken mug Monday!

Until 5 minutes ago, I thought you were all talking about these chicken mugs :lau

IMG20201110074505.jpg

3 Rounds of Out and Out Brawling

I am beside myself right now and I definitely need some advice. I have no idea what is going on but all out warfare broke out today between Hattie and Aurora. That's right Hattie. I can't believe it.

They went 3 rounds that I have seen. Lilly broke up the first two by wading into the fight. I filmed the 3rd one in which Lilly was actually involved as it broke out. No joke, they looked like roosters going at it. I have never seen anything like this.

Here is the video of the 3rd bout. I'm putting most of this behind a spoiler. I did not intervene. I need to know if everyone thinks that is the right policy moving forward. They are each wounded. The wounds are not serious, they are their combs up by their beaks. I will also put photos of the wounds behind spoilers.

Patsy and Jabber never fought like this. It is quite vicious.

About 30 minutes after the fight, this is how the flock is grouped.
View attachment 2420045
View attachment 2420047

I'm looking for anyone with experience with something like this or even just common sense. @Shadrach I am guessing that roosters don't let this happen but maybe not. Any thoughts?

Wow, that was full-on! I only ever saw that at the beginning of integration. Towards the end it looked like each of them had a chaperone (or second) who then conferred with each other right at the end. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice for you, I’m hoping someone has been able to help. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom