The issue is we just don’t know yet… from the sounds of it (and yes, I missed a bunch) they may be getting some older chicks from the same source as the ones that came and quickly perished of Coccidiosis. So the question is should they just switch over from the breeders Non medicated feed to medicated, or go with a treatment levels be safe.

@BY Bob I just had another thought on Dr Mark telling @MaryJanet to use the medicated feed while treating (aside from the potential Australian medicated feed brand differences etc?) as a vet do you think he may have given her the correct dosage to boost the levels of Amprolium from the therapeutic dose to the treatment dose? I was just recalling popping overto the pharmacy from work for my prescription refill, only to find I was out of refills. Wondering how I would get through the day without them (anti inflammatory for a shoulder RSI) the pharmacist pointed out that I know my dose and there is the over the counter version (turned out much cheaper too) I just needed to basically ignore the maximum daily dose info and take it as though I was at the prescription level until I could get into my Dr again.
It sounded like Dr. Mark told her their was non-pathogenic coccidia in the feed. I am certain that @MaryJanet will confirm for us when she gets on tonight.

Now in theory, you could take my post and adjust your therapeutic dose just like you said. Subtract out the final dose from your initial therapeutic and medicate their water accordingly. I would rather not deal with that variable. If they are pretty sick and aren't eating you risk the therapeutic dose being too low.

The problem @Blazinga has is getting older chicks for the same place the coccidia laden ones came from. Not knowing if they have coccidia or not, I would immediately treat like they did. There is no effective downside. Wipe out anything that might be there and instead of the final tapering dose, move them to medicated feed. Then I could rest easy.

I don't think this is still the plan. After buying chicks with unknown histories, my family wants to be sure they are healthy and that we know everything about their medical history. Apparently, it's really difficult to buy chickens in this Midwestern state. I'm not enthused, but apparently everyone in this state sources their birds from orschlins or TSC anyways so we have to resort to hatchery orders. The chicks I got last time were actually from an accidental over delivery from Hoover's. I wish there were more options, but no one around here seems interested in presenting them. Let's hope my luck turns around.
If you don't mind saying, where in the Midwest are you?

Have you looked for any local poultry clubs? Or check in with 4H. To be honest I haven’t had any issues with our feed store chicks, other than breed specifics (I want heritage, not production hybrids)
Be wary of Craigslist.

There is a local Facebook group that @CrazyChookChookLady belongs to around here. Maybe there is one where you are.

If you are going to source them locally, there are vaccines that you could consider including one for coccidia. They are not always performed by local breeders. You could ask your vet about getting them vaccinated.

It sounded like Dr. Mark told her their was non-pathogenic coccidia in the feed. I am certain that @MaryJanet will confirm for us when she gets on tonight.

Now in theory, you could take my post and adjust your therapeutic dose just like you said. Subtract out the final dose from your initial therapeutic and medicate their water accordingly. I would rather not deal with that variable. If they are pretty sick and aren't eating you risk the therapeutic dose being too low.

The problem @Blazinga has is getting older chicks for the same place the coccidia laden ones came from. Not knowing if they have coccidia or not, I would immediately treat like they did. There is no effective downside. Wipe out anything that might be there and instead of the final tapering dose, move them to medicated feed. Then I could rest easy.
I agree completely! If they do go TSC instead of the Coccidiosis source… I like having some of the non medicated chick starter around for feeding birds that may have other issues as well. It’s nice to be able to make a wet feed and add a calcium supplement, or nutri drench to. We have a local(ish) feed store that also provides bulk feeds and just like the bulk department in a grocery chain a self serve bulk feed type dispenser for smaller quantities. Of course that specific to my area and in another country so not much help unless they can find something similar

I am ready to strangle the old bat Momma hen. She disappeared one me. Gone without a trace, was beginning to fear she was dead. She showed back up this morning and she's not alone. She has 10, yes you read that right, 10 brand new chicks with her. I have no clue where she chose to hatch them at, I've searched this place all over, even sat for hours scouring the hillside with binoculars and not a glimpse. This bat will be the death of me, she clearly didn't get the memo no more chicks.
View attachment 2722386View attachment 2722387
Same thing happened to me (my hen brought back seven)

I think we check 4h, but they didn't have anything.
I'm not sure where you live but I highly recommend Mt. Healthy Hatchery. I've gotten two orders and a bunch of my friends have gotten some from them too. All great! Mine hatched May 19 and I received them the morning of May 20. I live in NY, the hatchery is in Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom