If you peeps only knewā€¦. (I was worse than this, when I was younger) got slapped and love punched all the time for my style of humor. I have toned down quite a bit since then. :old
My grandma (maternal) was a very gentle lady. My dad's sense of humor (guess where mine came from) is such that she gave him a love punch, so gentle that it was more like a comforting arm pat. It was with a fist and coming from her was SHOCKING. It was accompanied with a, "stop it." no exclamation mark, raised voice. Dad's response: belly laugh.

Ssomething I didn't know about Grandma (and Grandpa) was they had chickens when Mom was a child. (She doesn't know breed. They were chickens). This would have been when they had an avocado grove in southern California.....in the 50s? I'm guessing .

My grandma (maternal) was a very gentle lady. My dad's sense of humor (guess where mine came from) is such that she gave him a love punch, so gentle that it was more like a comforting arm pat. It was with a fist and coming from her was SHOCKING. It was accompanied with a, "stop it." no exclamation mark, raised voice. Dad's response: belly laugh.

Ssomething I didn't know about Grandma (and Grandpa) was they had chickens when Mom was a child. (She doesn't know breed. They were chickens). This would have been when they had an avocado grove in southern California.....in the 50s? I'm guessing .
I kinda think ā€œMaternalā€ is a strange name for a female, at any age. what did you call her , ā€œMattieā€ maybe?

Hi folks. Sorry Iā€™ve been absent. Last Thursday the power went out at our office and the middle school, which is a problem when you have COVID airflow requirements to meet. Then we had a board meeting that night. Thenā€¦ wait for itā€¦ I HAD A GIRLSā€™ WEEKEND! Sorry about the shouting, but Iā€™m excited!! We had a good time. Iā€™m the one in the back with my hand holding a wine glass up in the air. I wasnā€™t having any fun at all. šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£ LOL. My sister is beside me under my other arm. ā¤ļø
6F1F4B58-54CD-4CE8-B099-6C1F898DF0A1.jpeg

In other news, Ruby is still with us, but open beak breathing a bit here and there. Sheā€™s still doing normal chicken things and even roosting.

Then there is this poor, sweet thing. Dear Minnie is in significant molt and having neurological symptoms. She canā€™t walk tonight and can barely stand. Iā€™m not sure if she starved herself to the point of malnourishment while I was gone, if she injured herself, or if she has Marekā€™s and the molt is bringing out symptoms. Sadly, I think Marekā€™s is most likely. Sheā€™s inside for the night. Her crop is full of water, sardines and brown rice. She wouldnā€™t touch baby bird formula spiked with poultry vitamins, so I may tube that in the morning. I forgot which vitamins support neurological symptoms, so will need to look that up. Iā€™m thinking B complex, selenium and E, but could be way off.
47593D55-7E50-4315-8FF4-4919F974CF3C.jpeg

565B67BC-A2B4-46B4-A5EB-63A1FB580876.jpeg

I did also see Minnie preen while sitting and can stand for a short stint, if I stand her up, before she sits back down. Glad sheā€™s doing normal chicken things besides standing, but she may be off her regular feed. Iā€™ll try all the things I would recommend to anyone elseā€¦ wait and see plus supportive care for a few days. I might try a chicken sling tomorrow, but she might be self-limiting her activity if sheā€™s sore. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom