If you peeps only knew…. (I was worse than this, when I was younger) got slapped and love punched all the time for my style of humor. I have toned down quite a bit since then. :old
My grandma (maternal) was a very gentle lady. My dad's sense of humor (guess where mine came from) is such that she gave him a love punch, so gentle that it was more like a comforting arm pat. It was with a fist and coming from her was SHOCKING. It was accompanied with a, "stop it." no exclamation mark, raised voice. Dad's response: belly laugh.

Ssomething I didn't know about Grandma (and Grandpa) was they had chickens when Mom was a child. (She doesn't know breed. They were chickens). This would have been when they had an avocado grove in southern California.....in the 50s? I'm guessing .

My grandma (maternal) was a very gentle lady. My dad's sense of humor (guess where mine came from) is such that she gave him a love punch, so gentle that it was more like a comforting arm pat. It was with a fist and coming from her was SHOCKING. It was accompanied with a, "stop it." no exclamation mark, raised voice. Dad's response: belly laugh.

Ssomething I didn't know about Grandma (and Grandpa) was they had chickens when Mom was a child. (She doesn't know breed. They were chickens). This would have been when they had an avocado grove in southern California.....in the 50s? I'm guessing .
I kinda think “Maternal” is a strange name for a female, at any age. what did you call her , “Mattie” maybe?

Hi folks. Sorry I’ve been absent. Last Thursday the power went out at our office and the middle school, which is a problem when you have COVID airflow requirements to meet. Then we had a board meeting that night. Then… wait for it… I HAD A GIRLS’ WEEKEND! Sorry about the shouting, but I’m excited!! We had a good time. I’m the one in the back with my hand holding a wine glass up in the air. I wasn’t having any fun at all. 😉🤣 LOL. My sister is beside me under my other arm. ❤️
6F1F4B58-54CD-4CE8-B099-6C1F898DF0A1.jpeg

In other news, Ruby is still with us, but open beak breathing a bit here and there. She’s still doing normal chicken things and even roosting.

Then there is this poor, sweet thing. Dear Minnie is in significant molt and having neurological symptoms. She can’t walk tonight and can barely stand. I’m not sure if she starved herself to the point of malnourishment while I was gone, if she injured herself, or if she has Marek’s and the molt is bringing out symptoms. Sadly, I think Marek’s is most likely. She’s inside for the night. Her crop is full of water, sardines and brown rice. She wouldn’t touch baby bird formula spiked with poultry vitamins, so I may tube that in the morning. I forgot which vitamins support neurological symptoms, so will need to look that up. I’m thinking B complex, selenium and E, but could be way off.
47593D55-7E50-4315-8FF4-4919F974CF3C.jpeg

565B67BC-A2B4-46B4-A5EB-63A1FB580876.jpeg

I did also see Minnie preen while sitting and can stand for a short stint, if I stand her up, before she sits back down. Glad she’s doing normal chicken things besides standing, but she may be off her regular feed. I’ll try all the things I would recommend to anyone else… wait and see plus supportive care for a few days. I might try a chicken sling tomorrow, but she might be self-limiting her activity if she’s sore. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom